Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much breast milk does your 4-5 month old consume?

My DD is almost 5 months. She takes 6-8 oz of breastmilk during a 9-10 hour period. She's tiny, only 12.5 lbs, but she would never take more than 3 oz every 3 hours. When I get home, she wants to nurse a lot though.

Advertisement

keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
jengojengo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm thinking that when I was pumping, my 5 month old needed 3 4-6 oz bottles for the time she was in daycare.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
apo_katie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son is a little piggy! At 6 months he has 20lb 2oz and 27.25in. He eats 4-5 times at daycare and the bottles are 5 ounces. I tried 4 ounces in the bottles and a suckie after, but he would get angry and throw the suckie and cry until he got one more ounce.

Semi-crunchy, vax-ing, organic-eating with a corn intolerance, home-brewing, , ,
apo_katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apo_katie View Post
My son is a little piggy! At 6 months he has 20lb 2oz and 27.25in. He eats 4-5 times at daycare and the bottles are 5 ounces. I tried 4 ounces in the bottles and a suckie after, but he would get angry and throw the suckie and cry until he got one more ounce.
I think this is my guy too.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was gone four hours today. He ate a 5 oz bottle, a 2.5 bottle and she had to defrost a couple more ounces. I asked her to try and do 4 oz at a time, soothe with a pacifier afterwards, etc etc. but he was cranky and fussy and hungry. Two bad naps. Or at least he needed comfort. Five minutes on the boob after I got home and he's out like a light.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Mine drinks 4 oz. I feed her using a dr. Browns preemie nipple so it takes at least 20 minutes. When I used normal flow nipples she would suck it down fast and want more.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're still using the lowest flow nipples from medela- he takes them fine so I don't see any reason to switch. Man this bottle thing stinks I wish I didn't have to go back to work. Hopefully we both adjust. Thanks for all your input.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
vibrantnotions
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey5783 View Post
We're still using the lowest flow nipples from medela- he takes them fine so I don't see any reason to switch. Man this bottle thing stinks I wish I didn't have to go back to work. Hopefully we both adjust. Thanks for all your input.
I don't find the slow flow medela nipples to be all that slow. They are what we use, and I remember the slow flow disposable nipples the hospital gave us were much slower when we initially were pumping and bottle feeding due to latch/jaundice issues. But a slower flow preemie nipple might be frustrating to your little one in it's own way, and if you think it's working then I would stick with what you got.

I was initially sending three 3oz bottles, but after awhile my little guy started trying to hold out for me and often ether skipped the third bottle or would have it right before I got there. I can't always get out of work on time so I didn't want to ask them to drop the third bottle in case I got stuck on a supervisor call or something. So I started sending just a 2 oz bottle for the third one as a hold over bottle with the idea that I'd be there soon and he could just eat right away if he needed to.

I know if I put 4oz in his bottle he would drink it because it is there, but daycare hasn't mentioned him being hungry still. It might take some experimenting to find that balance between satisfied and drinking it because it is there.

In an ideal world you'll be able to pump what your little one eats while you're at work. If he really does eat that much in one breastfeeding session you'll hopefully be able to pump that much in one pumping session. In the less than ideal world I sometimes come up a little short and add have to add a before or after work pump session.

Last edited by vibrantnotions; 05-13-2013 at 04:36 AM.
vibrantnotions is offline   Reply With Quote