Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
scabies help *face palm*

2013 is throwing us one hit after another medically. lol
my mom has had a rash for about 2 weeks that she thought was mollescum, because 2 of the 3 kids she nannies always has it. but when the baby and her started to have a bad rash, the kids mom took her to the derm and my mom and the youngest has scabies. >_< most likely from a hotel room from one of the parents (they are both pilots)
anyways, we have all been to my moms house many times before my mom got the rash and you are usually infected before you start itching, so we need to treat at our house too. My mom's Rx was $78, and honestly, I cannot afford that for the 4 of us in our house ($312) on top of DS's dental due friday and me having to buy a new car battery and my other medical bills.

are there any other options? i want to be sure we do not start itching and get the rash because my mom is miserable while she is waiting for the itch to stop even though the mites are dead at her house.

any help is appreciated. thanks

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
1 tube should be enough for more than 1 person since you just apply it once. you can buy online cheaper http://ourmeds.org/products/antibiot...cid=cg-elimite
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've had scabies before and I was the only one that got it, so its possible none of tu oh have been affected

According to the CDC site unless you had prolonged skin to skin contact your risk is minimal
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 05-12-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
mugsywebb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: scabies help *face palm*

it automatically takes me to google, even if i google it and try to open it up.
but you gave me some good hope that we wont get infected.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That's weird the link works for me (maybe try a different browser?) If you look up buy elimite cream you can find deals if u do need it
Old 05-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

I remember having scabies as a kid. I had to take lots of oatmeal baths and use the lotion stuff. That is all I remember.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

This is my second time responding since my DS hit cancel. I'll try to remember everything I wanted to say

I've dealt with scabies twice before and it sucked! The first time someone suggested a bleach bath, and I was broke and stupid so I tried it. It definitely didn't work. Tee tree oil is supposed to kill them. It is about 15-20$ for a big bottle that should treat the entire family. I would do a 50/50 mixture with olive oil, or even 75 tto/25 EVOO. The bonus to this is that even if you don't have them, the process won't hurt anyone. And since you don't show symptoms for a few weeks, you can get ahead of the game. Put it on once or twice a day every day and don't bathe for several hours. Focus on your "webbing" between fingers, toes behind knees and elbows but still apply everywhere.
http://www.naturalhealingherbsinfo.c...d-scabies.html

If you go the prescription route; Two prescription tubes were enough to treat me twice, my toddler twice, and my hubby once or twice (I can't remember if we treated him twice or not, he wasn't showing symptoms so they wouldn't write him his own script even though he was about to deploy and share quarters with his entire unit! I'm still irritated about that!)

Anyways, bag up anything that you can't wash on hot, and leave it for a week. The worst part about it is that you itch for a while even after they all die, since the itching comes from their decomposing bodies. I would definitely try the tto as a preventative measure.

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 05-13-2013 at 01:26 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Dan_yell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
I've had scabies before and I was the only one that got it, so its possible none of tu oh have been affected

According to the CDC site unless you had prolonged skin to skin contact your risk is minimal
Yep! I had them too and was the only person in the whole family to get them. :/
Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My mom got scabies when I was 8. We bed shared, so I got them. My dad worked nights and did not sleep with us and never got them. I got a big thing of lotion to use and they went away. I would say to wait and see if you even need the stuff before investing.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My family was exposed to them on vacation staying with family for a week before the 8 yr old was diagnosed. They thought he had chiggers(?) as he constantly scratched at himself, wrastled with my kids, drug bedding all around the house. It was gross, and a bad infestation. Their family treated with the cream and I was able to get my dr to rx one tube for me. Dh's dr and kids ped would not over the phone. Their family gave us most of one tube plus the one I got, and it easily treated 2 adults and 2 kids. You shower, put it on once, leave it on 8 hours, then wash off. We were lucky that insurance covered it so only $5.
Now the kids ped said there really was no reason to treat unless their was evidence they got it.

Did I mention we also brought the stomach flu home that trip including a vomiting baby on the plane ride...can't wait to go back
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote