Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
BlondieMomma
Registered Users
seller

Possible allergic reaction?

(Cross posting because I need advice!) Last night my baby accidentally ate a small piece of my granola oats n' honey cereal. (I FREAKED OUT about the honey in the cereal, but my ped assured me that it's okay. I'm not as freaked out now, but I'm still a little nervous about it.) Anyway, so he ate one piece of granola cereal. This morning he woke up with a rash all over his back. Could this be an allergy to something in the cereal? It's not prickly heat and I haven't used any new soaps/detergent/lotion/anything. What is going on? He is already dairy intolerant, we know that for sure. [/QUOTE]

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
BlondieMomma
Registered Users
seller

Here's a pic of the rash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-360318578.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	143468  
Old 05-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Possible allergic reaction?

It looks like an allergic reaction to me. Have you given him liquid benadryl?

If it happens again, (since you don't know what could have triggered it) you should give him the benadryl at the first signs.

My daughter was allergic to eggs. It showed up aroun 8 months. She didn't have to eat the eggs, just be in the room when I cooked them, or if I broke the eggs and then touched her before washing my hands. She would break out like the picture. If she at them, the rash showed up around her mouth. But, it never became a big problem. (til I did the MMR *facepalm*)

A boy I watch is allergic to certain cinnamon. Not all cinnamon, just the expensive stuff. If he eats it, his face, ears, etc break out, and i give him the benadryl right away. But, if I just touch him with it, he only breaks out where I touch him....even hours after I used the cinnamon. Even if i've washed my hands.

My daughter outgrew her egg allergy, the little cinnamon boy is only four, so he may outgrow it.

But, my biggest fear, is I won't notice a more serious reaction, and he might have trouble breathing.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to say cinnamon too...seems common in kids this age. My niece outgrew it. That seems like a pretty bad reaction so def keep Benadryl on hand.

I would keep the list of ingredients of the cereal for future reference just in case...so if he has a different item but reacts so you can compare. My DS2 had a crazy reaction like this all over his body but we still don't know what it was.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
BlondieMomma
Registered Users
seller

Cinnamon, huh? I've never heard of cinnamon allergies but it sounds plausible--I'll bring it up to my ped tomorrow! Thanks!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With the cinnamon- not everything we get that is labeled as cinnamon is real cinnamon. Unless you buy from a source that gaurentees its real cinnamon you won't know. Which might explains why the pp daycare kid only breaks out with expensive cinnamon (that would more then likely be real cinnamon) the cheap stuff is more then likely cassia cinnamon. We went through this when dd's sensitive skin reacted. Not an allergic reaction just sensitive skin. it was localized to where the food touched. But since she does have food allergies she was tested even though it appeared to be just a skin reaction. She is negative to cinnamon and we did bother testing for cassia cinnamon.

Anyway, being that it was oats and honey granola cereal - if there are not nuts in it, there is a risk of cross contamination to nuts and/or peanuts so that is another thing to consider as well.

My dd has a dairy intolerance, peanut and cantaloupe allergies. She just grew out of a coconut allergy.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
LittleThingsMama638
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4
Anyway, being that it was oats and honey granola cereal - if there are not nuts in it, there is a risk of cross contamination to nuts and/or peanuts so that is another thing to consider as well..
This. Usually cereal bars either have milk in them or their is a nut in them or cross contamination. My dd is allergic to milk and peanuts and almonds and can not have any cereal bars.
LittleThingsMama638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
BlondieMomma
Registered Users
seller

Good point about cross contaminated nuts! I think I need to make an appt with an allergist and get this figured out.