Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Induction

Positive and negative experiences with labor induction?

Sent from my iPad using DS Forumq

Advertisement

ummsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Induction

Both of mine were positive

I was semi-induced with #1, went in at 35.5 weeks and dialated to 4cm and water was leaking. I got a little bit of pitocin, water broke on its own, did need a dose of iv drugs, and baby was born about 3 hours after water broke.

#3 I was induced fully at 39 weeks. Went in 8am got all situated, IV started ect. I was already 4cm and pretty well efaced. 9am started pitocin and broke my water. Hung out till about 10:45 chatting with DH and the nurse, 10:45 contractions picked up to where I had to concentrate on them, 11:20 I was ready and she was born at 11:30.

I felt good after each one, no issues with BFing, even with #1 being early.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa
Both of mine were positive

I was semi-induced with #1, went in at 35.5 weeks and dialated to 4cm and water was leaking. I got a little bit of pitocin, water broke on its own, did need a dose of iv drugs, and baby was born about 3 hours after water broke.

#3 I was induced fully at 39 weeks. Went in 8am got all situated, IV started ect. I was already 4cm and pretty well efaced. 9am started pitocin and broke my water. Hung out till about 10:45 chatting with DH and the nurse, 10:45 contractions picked up to where I had to concentrate on them, 11:20 I was ready and she was born at 11:30.

I felt good after each one, no issues with BFing, even with #1 being early.
So epi with either?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
812ajack
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was induced with my fisrt 2, I had epis (which I think I had read you had some issues when you had gotten them, I never had any probs with any of mine) with both (but I have with all mine so have nothing to compare that too but both of them went great! I actually had induction dates set up for #3 and 4 as well but both came the day before If I could talk my MD into doing it every time I would cause when you have other kids it is so nice to be able to schedule someone to watch them and have everything set with DH's work etc.... I have heard of people not having a pleasant experience due to lack of progression but all my labors (induced and not) were 8 hrs and under (the 8 hr one was my 1st and he was my biggest!) so never had any issues
Old 05-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummsmiley View Post
So epi with either?

No-- only the IV drug with #1 and nothing with #3.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had 2 positive inductions with epidurals.

normal vaginal deliveries with no complications:0

very favorable bishop's score beforehand though + i was 40 weeks+
Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was induced with both of my LO's...I wouldnt be induced again unless I "had" to be, but I did have very good experiences (as good as it gets) with my inductions. I had no complications, everything was smooth sailing. I was induced with DS at 4cm dilated, I labored for 8 hours from the start of pit until DS was in my arms...15 minutes of pushing. With DD I labored for about 7 hours from start of pit to baby in my arms, 3 pushes. I did have an epidural both times. Pit contractions were excruciating to me...I went along with it for 8 hours with DS because I was scared of slowing my labor, but I got my epidural the first time they asked with DD. DD did have problems BF, but that was because she was lip tied...she was not lazy at the breast or anything, she just couldnt get a good latch with the lip tie and the LC was a JOKE. DS nursed like a champ from his first latch. They both had APGAR scores of 9...the nurse said she very very very rarely gave 10's.
Child passenger safety questions? Ask me, I'm a CPST!
stringbean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
MsBurrows
Registered Users
seller

I had two inductions, epis with both. First was uneventful. Second there were complications (with the epidural, which I mentioned in other post). I wouldn't do an induction again unless I felt it was necessary, but that's largely because I felt out of control of the process and the all over experience was bad. If you are a good personal advocate or really like and trust your doctor, then I think it can go well.

My second baby struggled immediately after birth, but once she was past the immediate issues she went right to the breast. Neither baby had trouble nursing. I was in a hospital that does not use a nursery outside of extenuating circumstances, and I think that helped a lot.

http://heathenhomesteader.com/
MsBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Jleigh8289
Registered Users
seller

I was induced with a pitocin IV both with DS and DD and am prepared to be induced with DD2 in Oct. My body just doesn't go into labor on its own...

First time was 2 days early because I was having such a hard time with false labor. That was a hard labor and delivery. 19 hours and I was miserable for the whole thing.

Second time was because I was 5 days past due date. It was so much easier (probably cuz I knew what I was doing that time). It ended up only being 5 hours long and was a wonderful birth (can I call a birth wonderful?).

Both had epidurals which worked out fine. The only thing I would change is that I let them give me a local anesthetic in my IV with my first way too early and I think that is part of what made it miserable.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Jleigh8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
ummsmiley
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for all the feedback. I'm, trying to weigh all my options. I would have never even entertained the idea with my other children, but my situation is much different now. My husband and I are far away from our home towns and close friends/family with no reliable options for a place for all my other children to go on short notice. That coupled with the fact that I almost didn't make it to the hospital and dilated so quickly has me considering a planned induction where I can schedule a sitter, ect. I'm feeling like if I just,go into labor on my own that there will be so many factors out of my control that it will be very stressing. Before I could leave my kids with grandma for the week if necessary and just, wait for baby to come. I no longer have that option.