Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Coral Mei’s Successful HBAC Birth Story

I woke at 12:20 after dreaming about a sort of “pop” sensation. I headed for the bathroom just in time, as my water had broken and I lost a large gush of fluid rapidly. No contractions right away, so I went back to bed with a heavy pad and waited. Within a few minutes, contractions began. I got up to make some tea and a snack while I timed contractions. They were 2-3 minutes apart and about 1 min long and I was having to breathe through them but could still speak freely.

I woke DH and gave him the info, he decided to get up instead of getting a little more sleep. We called the midwife and talked through a couple contractions. She asked us to call again in 30 minutes. We spent the time readying the basement and I tried lying on my side to rest – but this slowed the contractions to 7min apart.

Once the midwife arrived around 1:45, I alternated sitting on the birthing ball and standing leaning over the couch. Contractions were strong but still spaced a bit. She recommended we all try to get a bit more sleep if possible, though I was full of nervous energy.

I dozed and contractions increased to where I was having to begin low “O” breathing and really ride through them. The student midwife arrived and did a few checks of heart tones. I was able to doze and dream a bit between waves, and I made a goal of dozing until it was at least sort of morning. Just before 6am, we decided it was time to fill the birth pool and I went back to the birthing ball.

I told the midwife I was scared that standing would make the contractions stronger, and she reminded me that strong was good.
I went back to standing over the couch arm and immediately had major contractions and the urge to vomit. Vomiting while contracting was not a fun activity! Thankfully, the urge passed after two contractions, though the strength and length of contractions was increasing and I was fully moaning in “O” sounds throughout. I began to think fondly of a “simple” c-section, and started to do “labor math” and worry that I couldn’t bear another 20 hours of this. I focused on the idea that my body was producing the pain, therefore I was strong enough to endure it. DH was right there reminding me to stay loose and moan low – LOW really made such a difference!

I asked the midwife whether the “rest” periods between contractions would go away as I got closer to pushing, so I could prepare myself. She said there would still be pauses, and I decided to switch to hands and knees against my birthing ball. Within a few contractions, I began to feel strong pressure and the urge to push.

They hustled to finish off the birthing pool, and I was already feeling “fire” by the time I got in the water. I had NO idea I was so close. The water wasn’t as warm as I hoped, but I was already beyond stopping and pushing was happening regardless. The midwife checked me for dilation (the only vaginal exam we did the whole time!) and said I was clear. I laid my head on the edge, pushed down with my hands, and pushed like crazy. DH was right there leaning against me over the edge. Our friend started taking pictures.

I could feel her making progress but it hurt and the pressure was so crazy. I thought my hips might break apart. She began to crown and the midwife let me feel her head. I kept thinking, “the only thing that will make this stop is getting that baby out!” When I felt her start to slip back, I redoubled my pushing, sometimes so hard I lifted my knees off the bottom. The midwife asked me to “hee-hee-hee” but then decided my body was moving at a safe pace and said to push when I felt the urge.

Now I was impatient and it was almost hard to wait the few seconds between pushes. DH moved behind me to catch her. I made the most phenomenal push and felt her head go – the midwife helped John catch her and slide the cord off her shoulder as she slid out. Then she SWAM to my arms and I held her as she pinked up and began to cry. It was so unreal. I was deliriously happy but also couldn’t believe it actually happened.

We warmed her up while waiting for the placenta, and I stood up to push it out when it didn’t come right away. We all moved to the couch and she latched on to nurse almost instantly. I had a 2nd-degree tear but no other issues for me or baby. Looking back, I never once thought about my incision!

Some comparisons for all the other VBAC/HBAC hopefuls:
Total HBAC labor time: approx 7 hours, 1.5-ish pushing.
Last labor (C/S for cascade of interventions): 35 hours (back labor), 2 hours pushing, then surgery.
Recovery time: Up and walking (stiffly) within 10 min.
Last recovery: Struggled to the bathroom with assistance after 24 hours.

Wife to my best friend , SAHM to DD1 (4/15/10) and DD2 (5/16/13)
Leiiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Coral Mei’s Successful HBAC Birth Story

Omg that sounds like an amazing birth! Congrats mama!!
im a breast feeding cosleeping laundry loving cloth diapering fluffy mail loving homeschooling mom of three adorable kids
**rachel** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Wow what an empowering story! Congratulations.
~Danielle~ Wife to Christian Mom to Luke 7 Years Old and Malorie Elise 5 Years Old and Twin Girls Harper & Everleigh born August '13 after a tubal reversal and ectopic pregnacy/tube removal
danigrace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

What a great birth stores! Hoping to add my own vbac after 2 csection story sometime in October.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Registered Users
Great story!!! Congrats mama!!
Mommy to Fiona 12/09 and new baby Layla 3/12 a HBAC!
umphreysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Registered Users

Shannon, Mommy to Claire (10/09) and Alice (vbac 3/12)
shan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Registered Users

Wow great job Momma. We got our VBA2C in April and it was hard work but totally worth it =)
FarmingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

Thank you for sharing, sounds amazing! So happy for you
ChaoticDreams33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Registered Users
My Mood:
Thank you so much for sharing your story - especially the comparisons between your two births! My first LO is only 4.5 months and I'm already thinking about my next birth (I desperately wanted a natural birth and ended in emergency c/s after 28 hours - I had pressure from hospital staff to intervene because my water had broken over 24 hours earlier). Seeing how much shorter your second one was is so encouraging to me!
lindsaydud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
Registered Users

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing!
liljami95 is offline   Reply With Quote