Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cetaphil for our kids and the California eczema shampoo/body was, it is pricey but it has really helped manage things. So far with our three kids, they've all developed it around 9 to 12 months and grow out of it by around 3 or 4 yo.

also, limit baths and make sure the water is not too hot, those things can exacerbate the problem.

With ds1 when he would get a really bad flare up we did occasionally have to use the cortisone to manage it.

Another thing to think about, sometimes humidity doesn't help it so using the humidifier might not help the situation, ds1 had it the worst when we lived in New England during the humid summers, the winters were freezing and dry and it was never that bad. We are moving to a mountain desert climate this summer so we ll see how the heat and dry affects things.

Advertisement

5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

When ds gets excema patches, we put a mixture of lanolin and coconut oil on him at night and in the morning. It's goopy but almost always clears him up within 2-3 applications.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
The only thing that works for DS is the Aveeno Baby stuff with the dark blue cap. Anything else makes his skin flare up. It's the same with laundry detergent; the only thing that works is Country Save.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
My dd has awful excema. We do use medication now when it gets really bad.

But here is our regimen that the allergy doctor told us to do.

Take at least 2 15 minute baths a day. Contrary to popular belief water doesn't dry out your skin it hydrates your skin. Do not add any soap or additives to the bath water. As soon as she gets out we blot her dry and add her rx meds, then cetaphil while she is still damp. This is the only thing that stops her excema. We tried everything. She now only has flares every few weeks and adding an extra bath with lotion clears it the next day. Hers was so bad when we sought treatment, it was bleeding and stabbing from her stomach down.

I would try the baths, then cetaphil.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So, doctor says my 18 month old has eczema

/We usually stick to the coconut oil/cj's/Vaseline if needed.

I have done the cortisone if really bad but you have to do a super thin layer or it will bleach the skin.

Oh....I just wrote in the other post that the pool in the summer helped us as the clorine helped. Not sure if this would work for everyone, but I noticed it did with us. Might be worth a trip to the pool as crazy as that sounds.