Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Can eczema be this bad???

Drop in daycare mom just brought her one year old. She showed me his rash. He's had the same rash in a milder version several times. But, this is horrible.

I demanded she take him to the doctor, so she's coming back for him in a while for his appt.

Anyway. From the bottom of his chest, it's patchy, then the bottom of his stomach, and completely over one leg is covered in a scabby, bright red bumpy rash. I've seen ecxema before, but not this bad.

The rest of his body has patches. Inside his elbows, patches on his neck, the other leg has large patches, but it's not his whole leg. Where the top of his diaper is, it itches so bad, he just can't stop himself.

So, if this IS eczema, can it be this extreme? Will he have to live with this? Does it come and go?

BTW, it's not Fifths disease, and it's not hand foot mouth. It's very raised and rough, and itches terribly.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Could be more psoriasis, but yes eczema flare ups can be horrid and miserable. Does he eat a lot of dairy? That and acidic foods are big triggers for us.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Can eczema be this bad???

Yes eczema can be that bad. But eczema is usually an allergic reaction to something, so until the trigger is found and eliminated from the babies diet, the eczema will continue.

I knew a baby that had horrible eczema all over her body, and very, very bad on her face. She would scratch and scratch and the parents had no clue what was going on. She would come to church with Aquafor just coated on her face, hands and head. She was covered in scabs and rash and it just looked so terribly painful - and she looked so sad. After a year or more of dealing with this, they finally found out that she was allergic to wheat, eggs and peanuts. They eliminated that from her diet and her skin cleared up completely! It was amazing! So yep, eczema can be really, really bad!

Hope they can figure out what is causing it.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

He did just start drinking milk recently. He's been on formula though.

His older brother has many allergies. So, perhaps it is allergies. She has some insurance that makes you go to only their doctors, and they choose the doctor, so she's stuck with some guy she says is an idiot. Plus they have to wait over a month to see a dermatologist.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes. My dd4 has, horrible eczema. She is on a steroid cream and we slather her with coconut oil. if we dont stay on top of it bathing her is even painful.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Yup, it can be. My daughters was awful until we found meds and a treatment that worked. Surprisingly she has no allergies.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
Yup, it can be. My daughters was awful until we found meds and a treatment that worked. Surprisingly she has no allergies.
Yup this.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep....my kids , two middle kids....had it bad, esp DS2. You seriously have to keep up on it everyday or else it can get really bad if you skip a day during flare ups. We unfortunately had to do the steroid once.

I know my neighbor boys was even worse all over his legs but mom said it didn't bother him? But giant patches.

The whole coconut oil/cjs/Vaseline if needed cycle worked for us or everyday shea lotion. Also......as strange as it sounds that in the summer my kids eczema almost disappeared. Weather of course, but also the pool is a factor. Something in the clorine eats at the eczema bacteria. I'm sure some of you have heard of the "bleach bath" that some derms recommend for really really bad eczema. But IMO pool is the same thing.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
He did just start drinking milk recently. He's been on formula though.

His older brother has many allergies. So, perhaps it is allergies. She has some insurance that makes you go to only their doctors, and they choose the doctor, so she's stuck with some guy she says is an idiot. Plus they have to wait over a month to see a dermatologist.
Milk is a big no no for most eczema kids. Citrus is another. Both make my husband and dd break out badly.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
leyash
Registered Users
seller

yup! my 5 year old got it at 4 months, and it's on and off since then. it honestly can look freakishly horrible when it is at it's worst. cream helps a bit, but steroids are the best treatment (for my ds).
leyash is offline   Reply With Quote