Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
stringbean02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: MMR vaccine and pregnancy

Honestly, at this point there really isn't anything you can do (that isnt in a snarky tone, I promise ), I'd say don't worry...worrying won't help anything. The chance that you will contract measles from a vaccine reaction are very very very slim...almost nil. Is there a chance on earth that you could? Yes, but it's a chance so small that there is no use worrying. I'd recommend contacting your OB about it, getting his/her advice, and going from there. But like I said, can't change it, worrying won't help, hope your lil man feels better soon, mama

Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

I'm assuming that you've been vaccinated as a child so the likelihood of you catching it from him is very slim. I wouldn't worry.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #13
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for all of the responses. And homebirthmom, I totally understand wanting to give me all I fthe information, but from my OP you can see that my son already got the vaccine so telling me that my baby might die was a little hard to hear.

On a positive note, my son is doing a ton better this morning. The bumps have receded to just a few on his forehead and no fever so we should be in the clear!!! I'm going to tell my OB at our next appt but I think everything should be fine. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #14
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm glad he's doing better! No one in my family caught it from my daughter, so I think you should be just fine. The Dr even told us we could take her out because odds of anyone catching it from her were very, very slim. We chose to keep her home just in case--you never know when you will run into a person with compromised immunity, plus taking her out when she was like that would have been miserable! But she was around me and my two other little all the time and never passed it on, so I think you'll be just fine. You're probably already immune anyway.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I'm glad he's doing better! No one in my family caught it from my daughter, so I think you should be just fine. The Dr even told us we could take her out because odds of anyone catching it from her were very, very slim. We chose to keep her home just in case--you never know when you will run into a person with compromised immunity, plus taking her out when she was like that would have been miserable! But she was around me and my two other little all the time and never passed it on, so I think you'll be just fine. You're probably already immune anyway.
I got the vaccine before college so I'm pretty sure I'm immune as well.and baby is still kicking away in there so I think everything should be fine
Old 05-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #16
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASahm View Post
Thanks for all of the responses. And homebirthmom, I totally understand wanting to give me all I fthe information, but from my OP you can see that my son already got the vaccine so telling me that my baby might die was a little hard to hear.

On a positive note, my son is doing a ton better this morning. The bumps have receded to just a few on his forehead and no fever so we should be in the clear!!! I'm going to tell my OB at our next appt but I think everything should be fine. Thanks everyone!
sorry, I didnt mean it that way. I meant having a dr give a child a vaccine, while mom is preggo isnt the safest thing to do when they dont want you exposed to Measles.
and those exposed dont just die in utero. its that there are high risks of deformities when exposed... unfortunately my brothers were enough to not sustain life AFTER he was born.

glad your son is feeling better!! it definitely sounds like he got measles from that vaccine. i hope Dr for your child makes a note of that as well as the OB.

please also realize NO vaccine make you immune to anything. thats why you have to get boosters. or for instance people get shingles now even tho they had chicken pox or the vaccine. we have alot of "stuff" (chemicals, hormones, bio hazards, unsafe ingredients in some vaccines) in our environment and bodies these days causing thousands to have autoimmune disorder.

Last edited by homebirthmom; 05-18-2013 at 08:02 AM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
saturn
Registered Users

Measles is not associated with birth defects. Rubella, which is sometimes referred to as "German measles," is the disease that is known for causing birth defects. Usually you are tested for immunity to Rubella early in your pregnancy with your first set of blood tests. UVASahm, since you were vaccinated and weren't advised that you are susceptible to rubella, I don't think there's really much to worry about. I hope your son continues to feel better!
And homebirthmom, your advice about vaccines seems ill-informed. Everyone knows that vaccines aren't 100% effective (the MMR vaccine for example is 95% effective). But your example of how people get shingles after having chickenpox or the vaccine is silly - you can ONLY get shingles if you've had chickenpox (or less often, the chickenpox vaccine). That's how shingles works, it's a reactivation of the virus that stays in your body after you get chickenpox.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #18
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

saturn, there is always an exception to being the rule. i am one as well, I never had chicken pox, yet have been tested and drs say I am immune- which means I would have had to have it. nope. never. also had a client get shingles without every having chicken pox. she was seen by a dr to confirm. her giving birth is what sparked her to get it they say.
I just hope this mom should told her OB that her son had gotten a reaction/the actual disease, from the shots so OB knows she was exposed.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Bellaroo
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
That's what we were told too. My son had an extreme reaction to the shot but we were still told that his case of mini-measles was not at all contagious so we did not need to worry. We frequent many play groups and there was never any concern.
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rubella is the main issue. YOU can't have the vaccine, but it's okay to be round omeone who has. I'm not rubella immune this time so I've got lots of info n thi one, lol.