Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Evelyn's entrance

Evelyn is my third baby. She was born at home in a planned unassisted homebirth. The difference between my first and second births made me want to become a doula, which I did. Since becoming a doula and attending home and hospital births as a care provider, I've wanted to become a midwife. This most recent birth, kinda is the beginning of that.

My first son, Dylan, was born during a routine hospital birth, with most of the bells and whistles. I had wanted to do the natural thing, but I had no idea about midwives and homebirths, or even that at 3 cm I should have went home and tried to sleep the night. Within a few hours of being at the hospital I gave into their pressure for epidural. He wasn't born until the next morning, with the assistance of vecuum and forceps. I considered myself lucky that it hadn't ended in surgery. He was born three days after his EDD.

My second son, Aiden, was born with a midwife in a hospital, no interventions, moments after we arrived by car. I learned from my previous experience: Don't go to the hospital too early. Though that car ride was not fun, to say the least. This one taught me not to go in a car during labor, period. It was an easy birth and the joy and ecstasty of the natural hormones and endorphins wasan amazing experience. He was born a few days before his EDD.

Evelyn was a trickster. Starting around 39 weeks I weould experience fairly consistent bouts of contractions, many of them making me think it was the real thing. I would gather the birth suppllies I didn't already have stashed in my bedroom and I'd make some tea and within an hour or two, it would be like it hadn't happened. I was confused because both my previous pregnancies were right on schedule. I spent the next few weeks dealing with some stressors in my life. I think they may have been the cause of the later than usual birth. At 42 weeks and 3 days I knew I was in labor. I don't know why, but I knew it would be that day and the feeling got stronger as the day went on. I had regular contractions about 10-20 minutes apart all day. Finally at 11:30 pm as I was making some soup from scratch my water broke in the kitchen. I was relieved to see it was pink and light brown. No green, no black. Immediately labor turned strong and normal, contractions became regular at about 2-4 minutes apart. I sat on the toilet emptying my bowels every few minutes. I made tea and I went and filled the bathtub with warm water. I spent the next half hour alternating sitting on the toilet, all fours on the towels on the bathroom floor and laying in the bathtub. Just when things were about to be unbearable, I knew she was coming. I was sitting on the toilet and I felt the head emerge. I quickly moved to the floor and her father caught her. We just kinda sat there in shock of the ease of it all for the next few minutes. She cried just a bit and pooped a whole lot right away and then she was just quiet alert taking it all in. My roommate, who is also a doula, joined us and took some photos. We left Evelyn attached for about an hour. At that point I began to worry about the placenta not coming out, so we cut her free and I got up and moved around. It all came out fine just a few minutes after that. We cleaned everything up, wrapped Evelyn up and went to bed. She's been the most peaceful happy baby I've met.

Advertisement

Last edited by sublime.mommy; 05-13-2013 at 01:10 PM.
sublime.mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
greenbean17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Evelyn's entrance

Wow! That is an amazing birth story.
greenbean17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

Amazing!Congrads!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
More stories like yours should be available, as it demonstrates the faith and trust in a woman's body and how a woman's mindset really does influence her birth.
Congrats Mama!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Taisleychick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wow! What an awesome birth story! You are an amazing woman!!!! I love that going over 42 weeks didn't freak you out but you just still committed to let your body do it's thing.
Taisleychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It was freaking me out a little bit. But I knew it was still within the range of normal.

I keep wondering now if my EDD was wrong or if I need to cook little girls a little longer than boys.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
ZnBmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats mama!

Hunting and pecking for fresh baby and children's deals! Follow me! CheapMamaChick on Facebook
& Cheapmamachick.com
ZnBmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Ktanner