Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

3 month old takes forever to fall asleep!

OK, well maybe "forever" is exaggerating, but it seems like it when I'm putting him to bed every night.

Our routine goes something like this: at 9:00, I begin by rocking him in my arms while singing to him to calm him. Then I sit on my bed next to his pack n' play (which we have him in right now because he's too big for his bassinet, and I don't want him in his own room yet), and I continue singing to him while I nurse him and gently rock him back and forth. This always puts him to sleep in my arms.

The problem comes when I transfer him to his pack n' play (I had the same problem when he was in his bassinet). He would continue to sleep as long as I was holding him, but as soon as I put him down, he wakes up, and then I spend sometimes over an hour patting his back while he sucks on a pacifier. I've tried stopping before he's fully asleep, and he just wakes up and then I have to try even longer to get him to sleep.

I am VERY opposed to any CIO method of getting him to sleep, but it's exhausting spending sometimes 1 1/2 -2 hours (including feeding) to get him to sleep at night. I've been hoping that he would just start to fall asleep faster with a consistent routine, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
moni54
Registered Users

Re: 3 month old takes forever to fall asleep!

I know that this may not be an option for you, but this is exactly why we ended up with DD in bed with us. I eventually needed to sleep too! Now she lets me put her to bed and then I can get back up and get some stuff done and then I go sleep with her later. She has slept through the night since we've started allowing her to just sleep with us and everyone seems happier this way. Like I said, maybe not an option for you, but I thought I'd just throw out the idea!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD does not go to sleep until 12:00-12:30 for us. But, she will often sleep until 7:30, so she gets a good amount of sleep, just starts later. It works, just not the best schedule for us. Oldest DD starting school next week. Her bus comes at 7 AM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
harleysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

our last dd was like this. We had to swaddle her so that when we put her down she still felt like she was all snuggled in our arms. Worked great most nights...I had never seen a baby like to be swaddled so much till her. We swaddled her for a very long time. I saw try it and see what happens...cant hurt right?
HTH
My blog:The Frugal 5
harleysheart is offline   Reply With Quote