Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any mamas out there that wear skirts exclusively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberlde View Post
I love that many of you have been doing this for years.. It is such an encouragment to me..

JasmineMama, where do you live? I am in MI

For the last week I have mostly worn my denim skirts that I sewed out of my old jeans.. They have worked wonderfully for what I have been doing, planting flowers, raking yard.

I do want to invest in some knit skirts as they are super comfy to me!
Central PA -- so probably not as cold as MI! But, I am a real cold-sensitive person. January is a painful month sometimes

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So, where us the favorite skirt thread?!
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #23
lepidoptera
Registered Users
seller

I would like to, but...

My son keeps pulling them down! I mostly have elastic waist ones because I had to get rid of all the buttoned ones since they don't fit anymore.

Also, how do you girls exercise? I can't see myself going for a jog in a skirt...
lepidoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #24
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepidoptera View Post
I would like to, but...

My son keeps pulling them down! I mostly have elastic waist ones because I had to get rid of all the buttoned ones since they don't fit anymore.

Also, how do you girls exercise? I can't see myself going for a jog in a skirt...
I wear a running skirt! The hardest part is finding a long enough one. It is just a skirt with biker shorts sewn in underneath. Also, they generally have pockets!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #25
mvp529
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wear skirts about 75% of the time, more so for femininity and modesty. However, I do not have a conviction that the Lord is telling me exclusive skirts only. I wear pants around the house-pj pants and sometimes jeans but never tight revealing ones.

I find the best place to find the longer skirts is the thrift store. I think since most people find them to be out of style, they donate them. Most of the ones I find are in perfect condition. I have 5 daughters and buy all of their skirts at the thrift too. I don't pressure them to wear them, but little girls naturally love flowy skirts so if they are in their closet, they will wear them.

Also I find that during pregnancy they are so much easier to wear anyway. If I wear pants, they will not stay up and bending over is not a nice sight . Skirts stay up around your waste and tend to not slip down to reveal your buns. So they seem to be much more practical also. Especially in the hot weather- you get a nice cool breeze!
Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love this. new Testament is even more specific. I Timothy 2:9 says,

" . . . that women adorn themselves in modest apparel . . ."

"Apparel" today is a very general term that means "any article of clothing." But did you know that in 1611 the word "apparel" meant "loose, long flowing garment?" Look it up in an old Oxford English Dictionary that has the archaic meanings of words. Furthermore, the Greek word is katastole which is an EXACTING WORD, and it is the ONLY place in the Bible where it is used. There are lots of words for clothing, attire, etc., but this word comes from a verb form which means "to lower." It denoted a loose-fitting outer garment, which was LONG. Paul used this word specifically to tell women that they are to wear long DRESSES. Pants, miniskirts, tight dresses, etc. can not fit the definition of this exacting word. Consult your Vine’s Dictionary for verification of this word definition.

The fact that God wants a CLEAR distinction between the appearance of a man and a woman is also repeated in I Corinthians 11 when Paul deals with the issue of hair length. God is very concerned with the outward appearance of a saved person. To believe otherwise is to profess ignorance of the Word of God.

Thank you for definition!

I have been exclusive for 3 yrs? But have and do wear capris when running. I have very large thigh s and when exercising they rub and it hurts. Not only do I know biblically I am to wear them, but I see wearing pants as a stumbling block for men. Anything that shows your shape is an image in a mans mind. I have a husband and 4 sons and want to guard their hearts and minds. Thankfully my oldest is already annoyed and disgusted by inappropriate attire at only 10. He notice s that young then can you imagine where the mind goes once puberty hits if not taught what is acceptable to the Lord and expected?

I love hippy flowy long skirts but have very few that fit me. I am determined to gain weight it seems
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!

Last edited by ctj101502; 05-20-2013 at 07:43 PM.
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #27
tnhoover
Registered Users
seller

I know this thread was a while ago, but have any ladies bought skirts on the internet? Good stores/website? Thanks!
tnhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #28
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnhoover View Post
I know this thread was a while ago, but have any ladies bought skirts on the internet? Good stores/website? Thanks!
I'm always scared to buy my clothes online. Lol I buy monthly at cato, or target. I've exclusively worn skirts since 2002 my reasoning is biblical modesty. It is something I have a conviction to do. Dh supports and agrees, but never asked me to. He let me come to the decision on my own.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum
Old 09-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
MommyLyssa
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am really enjoying reading this thread. Although I still wear jeans most days, we have been slowly leaning towards skirts. (it is me that is fighting it. Due to being over weight, I hate wearing long shorts under them all the time and chafing anyway).

Just about all our close friends wear dresses/skirts exclusively, so it is something on my mind for sure. DH and I aren't convicted about it, but we do think about it often, as people we are so alike in in all other areas wear them. (and sometimes wonder why we aren't yet We figure it is more a matter of when than if. God is just working on bigger stuff I guess right now! Like, vasectomy reversals! haha)

I do think it is possible to dress modestly in jeans though. Even from the women who wear skirts, I have been told many times I have a good way with enjoying fashion but keeping it very modest and not about my clothes at the same time.

Owner and creator at https://www.etsy.com/shop/AllClothedinScarlet for modest, durable, and out of this world gorgeous dresses!
MommyLyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wear skirts nearly all the time. I like them for modesty and I think they just look nicer over all. It's been a little over a year for me. I just learned about running skirts and can't find any long enough for modesty so I wear Capri jogging shorts but maybe someday I will learn to sew with stretchy fabrics well enough to sew my own running skorts.

I have to add neither my husband not I feel necessarily convicted about the issue. In bible times even men wore tunics. But I do think it helps with today's society. Very few people will deny that a skirt is feminine. And they *can* help with modesty but lots of skirts today are worse than jeans. So I think my decision was more of wanting to look older/wiser/put together more than religion.

Last edited by erin_c_odonnell; 09-08-2013 at 01:39 PM.
erin_c_odonnell is offline   Reply With Quote