Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
lovebeingmom2
Registered Users

Re: Any tips on easing toilet fears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiebug2663 View Post
BUBBLES and books, bubbles first, my dd is 18 months, she would not sit, so i bought bubbles, sat her on the toilet, she cried andimstarted blowing bubbles and it was so much fun she wasnt scared anymore. Also i had gone tomwalmart bought a tall mirror for $6 i placed it so she can see herself. It really helped her, now we read books too, shen she wants down,mi help her down but also put away tthe bubnles and books, of she cries for bubbles i put her backmon the toilet and start again, good luck
This! My little boy was scared at first too and would cry when I sat him on but then started bringing books and his favorite toy in while he sat there and now he sits there and we sing, read books and whatnot...just something to make it a little less like a chore I guess. I never thought of bubbles! Thanks for that as I will try that too!

Advertisement

lovebeingmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
lanbryson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

make it as fun as possible and dont make them do it
lanbryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
BeeFroggyBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: MonkeyBeeMommy
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbryson View Post
make it as fun as possible and dont make them do it
Agree! Our DS was terrified at first too. Even of his little potty. We wouldn't force him but we would say "if you sit we can... watch om nom (a little frog looking creature from the cut the rope app game) on youtube or read a book..ect" never thought of bubbles before but that sounds awesome. We would also put it out in the living room and let him run around naked and go sit on it whenever. It takes a while but when they are ready to sit they will. Really I think parents deserve a medal in patience for the potty training portion of a toddlers' life. We are still trying to get DS to go poo. For a brief time he became terrified to poop at all, thinking he was losing pieces of his body. My biggest advice would be don't push to hard or fast, it pays to be the tortoise in this race.
BeeFroggyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
saturn
Registered Users

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but at first when my daughter didn't like to sit on the toilet I sat on there with her (behind her, with my back right up to the tank, sort of straddling her). It was awkward for me, but it seemed to make her feel more comfortable. We sang songs and read books and played, and soon she was okay with sitting there by herself.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote