Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What is your go-to meal when you just don't feel like cooking?

Yogurt, eggs, avocados, oatmeal w/ whatever 'sides' (fruit in yogurt, etc.) or anything that requires little to no preparation or that my LO's can get for themselves that they didn't have earlier in the day. I know some of these seen as breakfast foods, but we use them for dinner too as long as we didn't eat them earlier... and we often use "dinner" foods as breakfast foods!

Quiches used to last us for two meals and it was easy to grab for a quick meal the next day, so making enough for leftovers helps too. I also used to bake a bunch of sweet potatoes at once and keep them in the fridge for something quick the next day. We even like them cold!

Canned sardines or tuna with cut up veggies works as a quick meal/snack too. If you do grains and beans you can also make big batches of rice, quinoa, any type of beans, etc. and just keep them in the fridge or freezer until you're ready for them!

Freezer meals do work too...but we tend to prefer fresh. The crockpot sometimes helps too.

Advertisement

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
PoochP
Registered Users

Pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese. Quick and delicious
PoochP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I have a couple of options.

I try to keep a homemade frozen pizza in the freezer, though I don't always have it there.

Spaghetti, with a sauce that is just a can of diced toms and a can of tomato paste with italian seasonings. Sometimes I slice up some mushrooms and toss them in there.

Stir frys are almost always super easy. A bag or two of frozen veggies, a cup or two of frozen leftover chicken or shrimp (not leftover but purchased cooked from the store) and then toss in soy or stir fry sauce.

And sometimes, just order a pizza lol
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Spaghetti with jarred sauce.
Bacon and eggs.
Hot dogs, canned baked beans, sauteed sweet onions, sauerkraut.
Those are our quick, fallback meals.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fish and fries with a frozen vegi. I keep a bag or two of frozen sweet potato fries and salmon portions or salmon burgers in the freezer. Stick both on cookie sheet and bake and throw some vegis in the mircowave.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Everyone else has the same ideas as I do, but we also do pancakes a lot.
My current favorite recipe is quick and delicious, and I like being able to keep pancakes cooking while I wash dishes (I do things a bit backwards and wash before dinner, just because it works out for me best.)
Eggs, scrambled, with any veggies we got laying around and something to add, like cilantro, pesto, feta, whatever we got! Kids always seem happy with eggs.
Once or twice a month we do a fast toaster oven thing like fish sticks or nuggets, etc. Once a month I do like a frozen prepared meal (Stoufer's mac n cheese yummm, eggplant parm, etc.) Or weenies and beanies with a side.
I crockpot a lot, because I often have time in the earlier day to throw things into it, then don't have to do much more work from there.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #17
abh5e8
Registered Users

popcorn! seriously. with fresh fruit and/or veggies, maybe cheese slices.
hard boiled eggs + fresh fruit or veggies
yogurt with cinnamon and bananas.
canned, rinses beans with a dash of salt and some olives. plus fresh fruit and veggie.
egg or tuna salad on toast.

dh works nights, so for dinner 4 nights per week its just the dc and I and they LOVE all of the above. i usually cook a few big meals over the weekend and during the week we all eat leftovers and as above, even more recently as i'm 8 months preggo and still working.
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #18
Nangirl17
Registered Users
seller

Spaghetti with jarred sauce.
Nangirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #19
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do baked salmon with lemon butter. It is ridiculously easy. Just put the salmon filet on a piece of aluminum foil, throw a little bit of butter on top, and then either squeeze a lemon on top or use lemon juice. Close up the aluminum foil and throw it in the oven for about 20 minutes. I will usually cook some brown rice in the microwave and then do a steam bag of veggies. Super easy and healthy. My boys love pasta with either butter or tomato sauce, but I don't like to cook it too often. I also love boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can throw them in a pyrex and sprinkle some seasoning in top and throw it in the oven and just wait. Lol. I like easy meals that I don't have to stand there and really cook.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #20
emilyinmichigan
Registered Users
seller

Quesadillas, enchiladas, pancakes or waffles. My kids love "breakfast for dinner" and I use the leftovers for sandwiches in lunches the next day.