Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

HELP!: Proper fit in a RadianRXT

I got a Radian RXT for my rearfacing 2.5 year old. He is average size.

The seat has massive pads on the harness straps! It's nearly an inch thick and is one piece that goes above and below the the chest clip... it's probably 10 inches long!

So I know I have the seat installed correctly, harness height is correct, harness buckle location etc. The "problem" is that when I buckle him in and tighten, it doesn't seem that it gets tight enough. I pull the adjuster strap until tight, then pull on the harness straps so it's tight across his lap and up by the shoulders to get all the slack out and tighten the adjuster strap some more with little tugs. But when it's as tight as it can go, I can still fit my hand (and my arm if I wanted) inbetween the straps and my son. I think the "problem" is just that the padding is so huge and padded and can compress a lot. He can't actually be ejected from the seat because the padding also keeps the chest clip in the proper position. So is it okay for it to be loose since it will keep him in the seat? I know about the "pinch" rule, but there's nothing to pinch since it's all padded. I cant even find a picture of a RXT with all the padding online...and it's not mentioned at all in the manual.

So, safe? Remove padding? Just being overprotective and paranoid? Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by Bentley'sMomma; 05-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: HELP!: Proper fit in a RadianRXT

Pics added! Thanks mamas! Oh, and BTW, the shoulder straps are definitely below his shoulders, the padding just makes it look like it might not be.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
lepidoptera
Registered Users
seller

Take off the padding! Looks like it velcros on. The padding is bad in an accident anyway since it adds "give"; our infant seat doesn't have any at all. "Give" is the reason that wearing a jacket in a carseat or even just being fat in a normal seatbelt (in adults) increases death risk. Just to make sure the straps don't touch the skin since that can be uncomfortable.
lepidoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepidoptera
Take off the padding! Looks like it velcros on. The padding is bad in an accident anyway since it adds "give"; our infant seat doesn't have any at all. "Give" is the reason that wearing a jacket in a carseat or even just being fat in a normal seatbelt (in adults) increases death risk. Just to make sure the straps don't touch the skin since that can be uncomfortable.
Yeah, we don't add things to the straps or wear coats etc. for that reason. So it's so weird that it came with such heavily padded straps. The manual didn't say anything about being able to remove them which is why I didn't do it right away. Since it was rash tested with them on, I wasn't sure if it served a purpose.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
The gap at his stomach is fine and pretty much normal. Only the pinch test matters. If you hate the pads take them off. Or undo the top one and try the pinch test. The padding will compress. Also remember the radian is a tug-release-tug-release to get the harness tighter.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Update: I removed the harness strap padding. I now LOVE this seat! It's easier to get him in, he has more legroom, and it's now easier to buckle him too compared to the britax.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #7
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Are you in the US or Canada? I ask because those pads are required for forward facing in Canada.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the US, the harness pads are not required for either RF or FF. They are a comfort thing for baby.

In Canada, the pads are not required for RF, but are required for FF. The seat passed crash testing both with and without the pads FF, however had slightly better numbers with the pads, so that's the test results officially handed in and thus what they require.

Honestly, though, DS3 is FF in his radian and we don't use the pads. I did try them and don't feel comfortable at all using them - I can't get the harness tight enough, I just don't feel comfortable with them, and he doesn't like them at all.
It really doesn't make sense to me that they're required here for him, but if we lived 30mins south, in the US, they'd only be for his comfort - if it's that way there, it's fine 30mins north too.

That being said, he was playing with the chest clip last week, pushing it down and pulling it up, and we told him that he had to leave it in the right place. He has since then, but if he starts playing with it again I'll put the pads on to keep the clip in the right area.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just saw these on my dn carseat last week, they are intense :-).

Sis is frustrated with them and I buckled her in her seat one afternoon and wow! It was way more difficult that our radians/dionos with the the original shoulder padding.

I would probably take it off if it didn't effect the safety.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08
Are you in the US or Canada? I ask because those pads are required for forward facing in Canada.
I'm in the US.