Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Bethany1130
Registered Users
seller

Kindergarten History-doing something different?

I am researching history curriculum for kindergarten, and came across a thread that suggested it might be good to focus more on teaching your child about geography (towns, states, countries) and then civics (our government structure-mayors, governors, presidents, voting, laws, etc). I love this idea. We have definitely in a very unstructured, natural way, talked to our son about these things, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a curriculum that focuses on these things? Or maybe books/dvds?

Besides the 3 R's, I only want to do a light version of science and history for my son's kindergarten year, so this sounds like a good plan to me. And then starting with real history in 1st grade.

Advertisement

Bethany1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kindergarten History-doing something different?

www.lessonpathways.com has a civics and geography based social studies program for K. It is free program too. If I remember correctly it introduces things like days of the week, months of the year, neighborhoods, maps, community helpers ect.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kindergarten History-doing something different?

I considered using Galloping The Globe at a slow pace. I ended up using MY first grade social studies book, it's a Macmillan/McGraw-Hill. The subjects covered are All About Families, Where We Live, Good Citizens, All Kinds Of Jobs and Americans Long Ago. I also used Adventures in America and we all liked it.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
www.lessonpathways.com has a civics and geography based social studies program for K. It is free program too. If I remember correctly it introduces things like days of the week, months of the year, neighborhoods, maps, community helpers ect.
Did you print anything from this website or just use it all online? I think this website looks like an awesome resource, but think I'd have to print most of it b/c I like having something in front of me.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote