Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Pumping Questions

1) how long until you see the fruits of your labor? A day? 2?

2) if you pump just to increase supply a little for baby and they then drink that much, then you don't need to continue pumping, right?

I'm not trying to build a stash, just get back to the full feeling I had when I was taking the more milk plus drops. I pumped until a few minutes past when the milk stopped coming. All in all, it was less than 10 minutes. I got less than half an ounce total from combining both breasts.

3) someone said breastfed babies don't need more milk as they grow, just the different type our bodies make as the baby tells our breasts that they're older. Is that right? Sorta seems right - my daughter was ff and never increased her ounce intake in a year. Not many solids either, so that's not it. If that's so, then what do growth spurts do? Cause I thought they were signaling that they need more milk, but maybe it's not really like that?

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

After 6 weeks my breasts rarely feel "full" unless I skip a feeding. But I respond to the pump well and can easily pump 3-4 oz if baby has gone 3-4 hours without eating.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #3
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Well, he doesn't go 3-4 hrs without eating even at night

I'm fine with them not feeling full, but since stopping the fenugreek, I'm not even getting many 'boob clock' alarms either. I just worry that without fenugreek, things will plummet. I don't want to pump regularly, just to make sure I'm adequate.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Oh and since I'm trying to get him off me as a pacifier and on an actual pacifier, I worry that fewer signals are gonna be sent to make milk.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would go to the pediatrician soon sometime when he is hungry and weigh him fully clothed and then nurse him and weigh him again on the same scale with the same clothes, same diaper. That way you can see how much he is eating in one feeding.
Also my LC said that babies are much more efficient than a pump so even though you can only pump a tiny bit doesn't mean he can nurse more out than the pump.
Good luck mama and I hear ya on the not wanting to pump regularly.
Lol
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pumping Questions

Unless you have a reason to worry about your supply (not enough wet diapers, droppinf percentiles) your supply islikely what your baby needs. If they are fed 100% from the "tap" and you're not using bottles your baby is getting enough.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Understandable. Except the 'rules' of if your baby is getting enough include periods of contentment. Which we don't have. He comfort nurses a lot, but he also nurses a bit while pacifying. I'd like to believe he's getting enough and I can take him off once he's been pacifying for 10 min or so. Instead of thinking the only reason he's 'getting enough' is because he spends 12 hrs/day on the breast.

Which, I know, is a western way of thinking about breastfeeding and naturally it's normal to nurse that much, it isn't long term feasible or very practical.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Understandable. Except the 'rules' of if your baby is getting enough include periods of contentment. Which we don't have. He comfort nurses a lot, but he also nurses a bit while pacifying. I'd like to believe he's getting enough and I can take him off once he's been pacifying for 10 min or so. Instead of thinking the only reason he's 'getting enough' is because he spends 12 hrs/day on the breast.

Which, I know, is a western way of thinking about breastfeeding and naturally it's normal to nurse that much, it isn't long term feasible or very practical.
I feel your pain. DD2 was like that. She didn't settle down til 3 months. Nothing but the basics got done. I don't have any good advice just sympathy.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you are trying to increase your supply try pumping longer. When I was maintaining my supply with ds1 I pumped for 15 minutes, 2 letdowns. If I had pumped 10 minutes my supply would have gone down. Everyone is different, but that's what I would try.

And yes, so they say, baby shouldn't need more as he/she gets older. Joey did increase his amount, though, sometime between 2 months and six. When he started daycare I was bringing in 4 oz bottles and when I stopped working it was 6 oz bottles.
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I was worried about pumping too long cause he doesn't always give me an hour between feeds. But he did that time just to spite me - lol

Thanks

And for the sympathy.
It's all good. Just trying to go through every solution I can come up with. I'm definitely not willing to add a pump to the reasons I can't get out of this house. But if I can do it a day or two and it makes a difference, that'd be nice. If it takes more/every day, we'll see.