Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

I'll admit I don't sleep as spindly w our 2 week old in bed with us but I feel like I get more sleep.

DH is against it bc he is afraid we will never be able to transition him to his crib & doesn't want to start bad habits. I agree in that after a few months or less I don't want to co-sleep either. But w a newbie who wants to breast feed every 1-2 hours around the clock & an active toddler I am worn out!!!

What do I do?

I suggested me & baby sleep together in guest room. DH has been sleeping on the floor in nursery & brings baby to me to nurse or sleeps sitting up on couch w baby for the first half of the night so he is getting very little sleep too.

I should mention baby doesn't sleep that much better in our bed bc he has what seems like reflux from my forceful let down so laying down isn't ideal.

Argh!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by crunchyNurseMommy; 05-26-2013 at 11:08 AM.
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Convincing DH to co-sleep

I'd sleep with the newbie and transition him to his own bed when he (or she, haha) started sleeping longer. I felt way more rested when I coslept. I never transitioned dd to her own bed though (as a single mom I saw no need to) so I don't know if it would be difficult.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
babyike2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We bed share with our 2 youngest. DD1 is 2 and showing an interest in moving to her own bed DD2 is almost 4 months and we both get more sleep with her next to me. So much easier to nurse that way and I don't have to fully wake up, just pop a booby in her mouth when she stirs. She has reflux too and we nurse on our sides-helps with my super outrageous let down as well. My hubby is ok with our sleep habits for now, sometimes he stays on the couch though

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

So, you don't sleep as well, and baby doesn't sleep as well when you bed share. It doesn't make sense to continue bedsharing if neither of the two people who its supposed to benefit the most aren't getting the benefit of it, plus your DH isn't getting sleep either.

What about room sharing but not bed sharing? That way, baby is in the room with you, so your DH doesn't have to sleep in the nursery and then bring baby to you, you and baby get the benefits of being near each other, but baby is also still in her own crib so that there's no need to worry about transitioning to her own sleeping space.

The only thing it doesn't address is the amount of sleep, but honestly, I have found that actually getting up and out of bed wakes baby up a bit more, which results in a more productive nursing session, which keeps baby asleep for longer stretches.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

So, you don't sleep as well, and baby doesn't sleep as well when you bed share. It doesn't make sense to continue bedsharing if neither of the two people who its supposed to benefit the most aren't getting the benefit of it, plus your DH isn't getting sleep either.

What about room sharing but not bed sharing? That way, baby is in the room with you, so your DH doesn't have to sleep in the nursery and then bring baby to you, you and baby get the benefits of being near each other, but baby is also still in her own crib so that there's no need to worry about transitioning to her own sleeping space.

The only thing it doesn't address is the amount of sleep, but honestly, I have found that actually getting up and out of bed wakes baby up a bit more, which results in a more productive nursing session, which keeps baby asleep for longer stretches.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I had one baby who did not like to bed share. I room shared with him. I would bring him into bed to nurse and when he was done, I would lay him back in his crib. He had reflux too. The other 2 also had reflux but loved cosleeping in bed with Mommy and Daddy. He DH just lived with it. Now he would not have it any other way.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can you put a Pack n Play next to your bed, so baby can be moved back and forth for nursing? That worked well for us, until the babies were big enough to co-sleep without us worrying so much. We used a Rock n Play with our youngest and that was even better. It let him sleep partially upright.

I also have one of those pillows with arms, can never remember what they're called, and it let me sleep sitting up with baby on my chest or across my belly.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD1 slept in our bed. Moved to cradle at 2 months no issues. DD2 was a terrible sleeper, but moved to her own bed around a year. 2 month old DD3 sleeps in the cradle half the night. DD1 and DD2 (4 and 2) currently sleep all night in their own beds no issues.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

We had the pack & play next to us in our room & little man made so much grunting noises I couldn't sleep bc I'd just lay there thinking "shot why fall asleep I am just going to have to get up & feed him again anyway" so no sleep there either
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

In my admittedly limited experience its not hard to transition them when they are little. We moved dd when she was about 4 months. I was expecting her to have a bit of a hard time but honestly it didn't phase her at all.

I never slept with her in my arms or against me when I coslept. I've heard horror stories (at least to me) of babies that would only sleep in very restrictive positions like on moms boob.