Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Interrupting. what do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I saw my neighbor do this and I think I'll copy her.
She trained her DDs (older one is 5 and younger one is 3) to raise one hand and another hand COVER their mouth when they want to speak. It seems to work really well. I'll definitely give it a try... esp now my DD is 3.
I love this idea. I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

I probably should have said that my 5 yr old has high functioning autism, and while he's extremely bright, he has a hard time grasping some concepts, like manners. He uses the right words, but not their function. My 4 yr old is finally getting the hang of things, but he just can't help himself unfortunately.

It really does help to know that there are so many others in the same age range that are dealing with this! Thanks everyone!

Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiswing View Post
I love this idea. I'm definitely going to give it a shot.

I probably should have said that my 5 yr old has high functioning autism, and while he's extremely bright, he has a hard time grasping some concepts, like manners. He uses the right words, but not their function. My 4 yr old is finally getting the hang of things, but he just can't help himself unfortunately.

It really does help to know that there are so many others in the same age range that are dealing with this! Thanks everyone!
I didn't mean to sound offensive when I said a 5 yr old should grasp the concept. I'm not sure how close High functioning Autism is to Aspergers, but, I do understand the outbursts etc. Which unfortunately, you will probably never be able to "cure" because it isn't something that can be fixed for him. You might want to set aside something for him to do while you are speaking to someone else (if it is a planned conversation or when you are on the phone) It is aggrivating and will be because of the nerological wiring in all types of autism, they just won't ever be "polite" in the sense of understanding and knowing what needs to be done socially. The younger one, you'll see, it will be a different world when that clicks into place, because by about 5 they know they don't want to be interupted either and might even come up with their own system to let you know they need to talk.
I had not involved my older son in how we deal with interuptions because of the fact he isn't "normal" socially, but he does know at times WHEN to interupt, but he is 8. The other two are very "normal" socially, they adapt well, and they know when mom is working or when mom needs just a minute to finish what she is doing. (when I am working, it is no longer than a 5 minute wait for them usually to talk to me. because of the beautiful MUTE button on the phone, but they know when I put up my hand to wait a moment- the bad part is, they know when I am working vs when I am chatting with a friend or family member... how they know, I have no idea!!)
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #13
Mickiswing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL, isn't that funny how they know? Well, not funny, but you know what I mean

No worries - I didn't take offense at all, just realized I left out some important info that could help clarify the situation. I've been teaching the kids some new techniques in the last couple days and they seem to be catching on pretty well. Of course, it could just be because it's something new, but I have high hopes for the new methods.

Thanks everyone for contributing!
Old 08-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to add what we did...

when they'd do it. I'd explain they can't interrupt (sp) when someone is talking, that they have to wait. If they did iunturrupt I'd say, "baby, you have to wait until mama is done talking to daddy, g'ma, whomever". Then I'd quickly "finish" so they'd see they do get to talk when I'm done. I wouldn't make them wait until I was actually done because all they had to ever really say was all of about 10 seconds long anyhow As they grew older they'd have to wait longer until I was "done" but eventually they dont do it. Now if I could just get them to not ask me for stuff the precise moment I get on the phone

It takes years but it works. Anything will work overtime though -