Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
BCsMom
Registered Users
seller

Receptive Communication Delay?

DS is 13.5 months old, and both his pediatrician and myself have been a little worried about his communications skills since he was 9 months old. He doesn't clap, wave or point. When I say things like "There's dada!" and point, he'll sort of look, but doesn't respond to commands at all. He sort of has two words - "daa" for down or more (the inflection is different) and something that sounds like "ziss" for everything else.

We had him evaluated by EI at 12 months, and they said that generally he was fine (certainly not qualifying for services), but they also listed him as a 17% delay in receptive communication (at a 10 month level). Of course, the reading I've done on this has said that something like not pointing could be an early warning sign for autism, but he doesn't seem to have any of the other signs.

I'm a WOHM, so he's in a small, in-home daycare during the day. He LOVES it there and clearly loves being around other kids, and the daycare lady has not expressed any concerns about him.

Any suggestions on what I can do to help DS along? Anything I should be watching for to make sure I get him evaluated again? I worry that either this is going to turn into something bigger, or that I'm not doing something with him that I should.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

When was his hearing checked last?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Receptive Communication Delay?

^^ That'd be my first thought too.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
BCsMom
Registered Users
seller

He's only had the newborn screen done. Neither the EI folks nor my doctor has suggested getting his hearing checked again, but I can bring that up at his next appointment (15 months in early August). He clearly hears because he responds to sound, and loves making noise on his own. Of course, I don't know how well he hears.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
MunkyCrazy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A hearing test was the first thing requid when they started my ODS on intervention. I'm surprised it wasn't brought up.

My ds was similar. Few, if any words, not pointing, not clapping, not waving, no imitating sounds (random noises, animal noises), no play imitation. He was social and would smile and look others in the eye though so the dr was never worried about autism.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsMom View Post
He's only had the newborn screen done. Neither the EI folks nor my doctor has suggested getting his hearing checked again, but I can bring that up at his next appointment (15 months in early August). He clearly hears because he responds to sound, and loves making noise on his own. Of course, I don't know how well he hears.
Yeah, he's not deaf, but the question is definitely how much he hears. I would push to get that checked ASAP, and have ears checked for fluid. Comprehension/Receptive delays are a much bigger red flag than if they understand but aren't talking. Does your insurance cover SLP services?
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's still really early to worry about the talking. My son is 16 months and still only says a few words. He signs everything and learns a new sign almost every day so I would try that.

I would be more worried about the clapping and not pointing. Try and encourage him to clap when he hears others clap, etc.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Sounds similar to my son. Mine was clapping by 6 months, but just started pointing now at 2.5. EI was concerned about autism because he is quirky. His eye contact is amazing with people he likes! He is not a fan of his EI team! He does have a receptive and expressive delay. He's in private speech and has made amazing progress since he started 4 months ago. He's like a whole new kid
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCsMom View Post

Neither private insurance nor medicaid has ever require prior authorization for a hearing screening with an audiologist at the pediatric hospital. Both insurance agencies have always treated it as a routine checkup. I would just call the local children's audiology department and find out if you need a prior authorization and make the appointment directly with them if insurance allows it.

It really isn't a big deal and wait times have always been almost non-existent since so few people demand or know they can demand a direct consultation with an expert instead of having to go through a ped or ENT.

Last edited by mekat; 06-18-2013 at 03:04 PM.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

If he just had an OAE screening at birth, that can miss up to a 40dB loss. I second a hearing eval with a pediatric audiologist.
mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote