Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
AngelElle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
THANKS for the replies. I have some good ideas and feel much better!

Advertisement

AngelElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
megs715
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Skin to skin after c section

When I had my C-section my epidural was up a bit high and didn't have use of my arms for a bit. However, as soon as I left the OR, and was into an actual room, I had her on me, with my mom helping to keep her there, or the RN. We did skin to skin for a bit, then I nursed her probably within an hour or so (for nursing, 20 minutes maybe for skin to skin).
megs715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #13
bananaclip
Registered Users
seller

I had an emergency C-section. As soon as she was cleaned the nurses brought baby Cora to my husband who opened his shirt and put the baby on his chest for skin to skin. She was not crying (so maybe not hungry) and when I arrived I fed her in a very awkward position. She is a terrible breast feeder after two weeks and I pump and bottle feed most of her calories, but it may not be related to the delayed nursing.
bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
mamalusbear
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a c-section last Monday, and I did immediate skin to skin after baby was born. I also requested that the nurses help me to get baby to latch right after he was born. I honestly believe it makes a HUGE difference, and I have not had any trouble breastfeeding this time around. Best of luck!
mamalusbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

They tried to let me hold DS2 in the OR but I was throwing up badly and almost threw up on him, so he just laid next to me swaddled when I was hoisted back to the regular bed. At our hospital, baby and daddy stay in the OR with mom and then all go back to their room. There is no recovery room, and we did skin to skin immediately in the room for both our kids.

I am not sure if they would do skin to skin while being sewn up at our hospital, as I didn't ask since I was so dang sick from something they were giving me. Honestly they were doing all the baby test stuff and DH was taking pics then holding him right next to me , so the sewing process didn't take that long.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 05-01-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
weissone
Registered Users
seller

With my first DD, we did skin to skin as soon as I was in recovery after the c section. She latched like a pro and nursed for 18 months. With my second, the hospital's policy was skin to skin in the OR as soon as possible after birth. In my case, it was as soon as I was sewn up. My DS is a good nursling as well. I specifically chose the second hospital for my delivery as they are baby friendly and promote practiced that support breastfeeding
weissone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my 4th C/S they let me see baby right after he was pulled out wrapped him up and then with DH's help unstrapped my arms and let me or DH hold him and DH push him to recovery with me. I asked for this...and baby was stable - they said if he wasn't there was no way. But, I've only ever had C/S and this was something I really wanted to experience. It wasn't exactly skin to skin since he was wrapped up (it's COLD in the OR), but in recovery he was there with me all but about 5 min where they ASKED if they could take him to the nursery - I could have said no but I'd already BF him and felt ok with him leaving for a few min...they did the bath with a camera so I could see it later...would have let DH do it or done it in our room but the older kids always enjoy watching the bath in the nursery and it's a chance for grandparents to see the baby so I was ok with that too. ASK for whatever it is you want...and ASK again...if say your OB says no ask the OR nurse who is with you - if you get a good one they will do what they can to work with you so long as everyone is stable...sometimes they will even bend the rules to get you what you want...I had a great experience with my 4th C/S - best one yet.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Treylen
Registered Users
seller

I got to have lots of skin to skin once in the recovery room. He latched on right away and perfectly. We were so lucky. I did not have the same ease with my first. Good luck!!
Treylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
annredhound
Registered Users

I agree with this it is what I did and it is really soothing to baby and you it helps you bond and well anytime my son was fussy I took my shirt off and laid him against my chest and nighty nighty he went lol Its a naturally way to soothe baby and does help when BF.
annredhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
mrsc968
Registered Users
seller

My DD was about an hour old when we did skin to skin. She was never able to latch without a shield. I think it depends more on the child than the skin-to-skin.
mrsc968 is offline   Reply With Quote