Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Frustrated with slow let down

A friend of mine is nursing her 8 week old. She has to use a shield but has not really had very many issues. Until recently. Her lo is the most impatient baby I've ever seen. He will scream bloody murder if her milk does not let down at the first latch. He will not work for it. Due to a bad situation he has had bottles of ebm. They are slow flow nipples but he still fusses the entire time sucking on the bottle. He won't latch onto the bottle very well either.

She's getting frustrated and starting to think she doesn't have enough milk. It really is the baby though. Impatient! Any suggestions to make it easier?

menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Frustrated with slow let down

No suggestioms but subbing for info. Lately my LO has been rejecting me in every single feeding. It is getting frustrating.
Linda, Wife to DH S 1/17/10, Mom to DS 2/13/03 A , 3/25/13 D & E 10/8/14
nachoslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Frustrated with slow let down

I found success with using ginger. I didn't eat raw because I didn't like the taste so I used capsules. I started with 1 3x a day and went up from there until I saw marked improvement. The other option is to pump a bit before nursing to skip the let down phase.
Mom2desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:
I have a fairly slow letdown. But DS doesn't get bottles, so that helps. Sometimes he treats me like a chew toy trying to induce a letdown.

I have heard to use preemie nipples - not just slow flow. They make baby really work for it.

If he has a bad latch with breast and bottle, I'd wonder about a lip tie. Maybe something worth going to see an LC about. Another alternative would be to use the sns straw thing, so baby is getting milk through the straw while suckling and encouraging a letdown.

My baby is 11 weeks and I think my letdown is getting better and quicker. Baby is prolly getting better at inducing it too. But I find my best letdowns are when I'm really full and that happens most often when I've recently had oatmeal or lactation cookies.

When I'm not real full feeling, I try to relax and think emotional baby things. Usually reminding myself how he's gonna be a full grown man someday instead of my little boy. I think that helps.
SAHM to Magnolia May (09/10) and Luke Russett (04/13) and wife and best friend to my airman.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote