Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: least favorite curriculums, or things to stay away from

This is funny to me because I liked nearly everything (even loved some) that people have mentioned for at least one of my kids.

I have found that what I might hate for one kid, I absolutely love for another kid. It's happened with several things and I'm always so glad I procrastinated about selling it.

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I thought my son and I would LOVE Singapore Math. A friend sent me a free copy of Saxon, which I thought I would HATE and that's what he chose every time I let him pick so we jumped ship!

I do think my daughter will love Singapore though. We shall see. She will be a young K'er this year. She's a much more kinesthetic learner and we are also planning on using Zoophonics with her instead of HOP like I did with my son.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Writing with ease is one for me. It overlaps with first language lessons IMO, and just feels like busy work to us, although I love the selections in it. I'm having a hard time finding a math I like, besides life of Fred!
Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #14
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
Havent found much we dont like but we hated math u see. The videos were so boring and outdated and the material was repetative to no end.
Didn't work at all for us either!!! What do you use for math now? I'm using math mammoth for younger ones and used a pre algebra textbook last year for oldest ds, but still wondering on next years algebra...

We also didnt like teach to read in 100 easy lessons.

Or most rod and staff. I wanted to like it very much, but kids would get so bored and younger ones would get confused with some wordings.
www.hyenacart.com/littlebitbusy
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hate ABeka overall, MUS was okay as was Saxon. Really dislike Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
mhschool6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
This is funny to me because I liked nearly everything (even loved some) that people have mentioned for at least one of my kids.

I have found that what I might hate for one kid, I absolutely love for another kid. It's happened with several things and I'm always so glad I procrastinated about selling it.
Yes, what she said!
Hannah- married to M for 14 yrs: Mama of 7 amazing children! Ages 13yrs down to 23mos And expecting #8 January 2014!!!
mhschool6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Hmmm... We disliked Teach your child to read in 100 ez lessons too- but I started her on her 4th bday and she was so not ready until age 5 or more or phonics. But we needed color and fun and that program has neither. I do not like Abeka math at all but I do like their phonics mixed with Bob books and more easy readers. Shirley English is a bear but gets your kids very advanced in English. If you absolutely love English (we are a math/science family) and want them very strong in english- then go for Shirley English but if not- then do not! My 1st grader was doing 4 th grade work in Shirley English 1 and getting it but I thought it took way too much of our time. All depends on your focus. Bob Jones History was a lot of work and boring for my dd too. Good luck!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #18
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Teach You Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and Funnix Math and Reading. Funnix lesson took too long at 30 minutes and it didn't get a lot of info in that time. I like how 100 easy lessons teaches blending but that was it.

AAR wasn't as good as I was hoping. I only did the first few lessons and gave up on it.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #19
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Anything "school at home" style filled with busywork, requiring long lessons. So ABeka, etc style.
I was taught using Saxon from 54 through high school, my sister from 1-high school, and I have taught in school levels 3, 54, 65. I'm not a huge fan although I must say my favorites are 54, 65, 76.
I was brought up on writing stands and love the creative writing aspect but think it does a terrible job with formal writing. Too little too late. You almost need to use it as a supplement with IEW or another such program. I do think it does a superb job developing creative writing.
Workbooks. It's too easy to get the work right and forget later. You don't chew, swallow, and come to own the materials.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
KaliShanti
Registered Users
seller

I hated how to read in 100 easy lessons and Abeka history for 1st grade.. boring!