Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #11
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anemic options?

I have this same issue, I have a major aversion to almost all iron rich foods. Your body absorbs animal iron a lot better than that from plants. i take slow fe, I got it at walgreens, its best to take it with vitamin c, but not with calcium. Beware that iron supplements may cause digestive issues so you might want to up your fiber intake too.

Advertisement

amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm not sure how much dietary iron it imparts, but can you cook on a cast iron skillet?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Whole Foods sells an iron supplement (it's a tablet) called Blood Builder. I took it along with Floradix while pregnant with DS. I've been taking it while not pregnant too since my Ferritin level was low (Ferritin is the stored form of Iron, once it gets really low, you become anemic). The Blood Builder has worked better than anything else I've tried, including 2 expensive prescription iron pills. The bottle says to take 1 tablet daily, but I take 2 a day. You would want to ask your doctor or midwife before taking 2 though.
Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

floradix! it also really improves my energy levels within 2-3 days of starting it. it tastes okay when you first open it, but as time goes on, I find it gets yuckier tasting. best to buy the smaller bottles of it, since it's only good for about a month after you open it, I think.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04liquidS
Whole Foods sells an iron supplement (it's a tablet) called Blood Builder. I took it along with Floradix while pregnant with DS. I've been taking it while not pregnant too since my Ferritin level was low (Ferritin is the stored form of Iron, once it gets really low, you become anemic). The Blood Builder has worked better than anything else I've tried, including 2 expensive prescription iron pills. The bottle says to take 1 tablet daily, but I take 2 a day. You would want to ask your doctor or midwife before taking 2 though.
This stuff is insane. I have struggled with anemia since I started my period and its only gotten worse as I've had kids. I found this stuff a month or two ago and I have felt a million times better.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'm not sure about what to take when pregnant, but I wanted to say that you should make sure you have some vitamin c with your iron. It helps you absorb it better. Also, try to avoid consuming dairy at the same time, as it can block absorption of iron.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Smplyme89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My midwife has me drinking nettle leaf tea, my iron levels are better now than pre-pregnant.
Smplyme89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are eating dairy, STOP! It leeches your body of calcium and other minerals that can contribute to your anemia. Eat a ton of greens (preferable organic) each day in the form of salads, smoothies or juice if you have a juicer. Parsley has the most iron of any vegetable and watermelon has the most of any fruit. I think cashews also have a lot- not sure.

I was anemic my entire pregnancy. It is an inability of your body to make enough hemoglobin (oxygen carriers) for all the blood you now have. It usually goes away after giving birth but man does it make you tired.
Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Floradix is a liquid whole food/herb iron supplement they literally made me feel better instantly when I was anemic with dd

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
bird_verde
Registered Users
seller

Floradix worked for me until about week 26 and then my iron level plummeted (again). My midwives recommended Ultimate Iron (by Enzyme Therapy?) - gel pills, they go down easy and seem to be working (no aftertaste or constipation). I also supplement with nettles and yellow dock (in tea, vinegar, etc.) and eat loads of greens.
bird_verde is offline   Reply With Quote