Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
EmmaGM's Avatar
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 7,896
My Mood:
As I'm staring down the barrel of another induction, I'm trying to sort through my feelings about my first birth experience.

My water was artificially broken and I think we started pit right away. Increasing every 15m. After a couple hours it was getting really really intense for me and I asked and begged the nurses to turn it off and let my body just keep going on its own. They told me they couldn't turn it off because my body wouldn't keep going on its own.

Based on birth stories I've read where pit was used to get things started and then turned off, obviously I don't think that's true. Not to mention my water had also been broken and my body never given a chance to start without pit.

So, um, I guess can I hear your stories about starting with pit and turning it off?

Advertisement

__________________
Emma H&T Mama to Faolan 6/7/12 & Malachy 1/29/14
Mary born into heaven at 14 weeks
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #2
lisathib123's Avatar
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2,568
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM
As I'm staring down the barrel of another induction, I'm trying to sort through my feelings about my first birth experience.

My water was artificially broken and I think we started pit right away. Increasing every 15m. After a couple hours it was getting really really intense for me and I asked and begged the nurses to turn it off and let my body just keep going on its own. They told me they couldn't turn it off because my body wouldn't keep going on its own.

Based on birth stories I've read where pit was used to get things started and then turned off, obviously I don't think that's true. Not to mention my water had also been broken and my body never given a chance to start without pit.

So, um, I guess can I hear your stories about starting with pit and turning it off?
Dont talk to the nurses.....you need to talk to the doctor. Im always induced. Though they never take me off the pit...... They dont ever out it higher than 6 whatevers. They only up it if they absutely have too. And thats the doctors decision.
__________________
Lisa, wife to Toby. Mom to Ethan, Morgan, Maggie, Molly,
Blaize, Damian, and Jett
lisathib123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
EmmaGM's Avatar
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 7,896
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisathib123 View Post

Dont talk to the nurses.....you need to talk to the doctor. Im always induced. Though they never take me off the pit...... They dont ever out it higher than 6 whatevers. They only up it if they absutely have too. And thats the doctors decision.
Maybe that was my problem. My doctor came to the hospital at 9am to break my water then went to her office for the day. She came back at 6pm for me to push.
__________________
Emma H&T Mama to Faolan 6/7/12 & Malachy 1/29/14
Mary born into heaven at 14 weeks
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Ellasundies
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,264
Re: Turning off the pit

Mine was turned off and I did just fine.

It's such a shame nurses/doctors lie to their patients to suit their own needs. If that bothered you so much at your last birth try talking to your doctor again, explain your bothered with how you were treated and ask how you can prevent [I]that type of problem in the future.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
AniMommy's Avatar
AniMommy
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 1,124
My Mood:
I'm another!

My first induction was a 4 day horror. I really didn't want a second induction, but at 12 days late dr said it was time. I was 2-3 cm and 50% eff.

I went to Hosp at about 10 am, 1 cervidil. By 2 or 3 I was contracting enough that I couldn't have the second dose.

They started the pit in the lowest level and left it there. I was having lots of manageable cntx. I had the monitor where you can walk around.

At 9pm dr called nurses and said turn off the pit and get some rest until tomorrow. My doula stuck around for 45 min to make sure I wasn't really going to keep going.

I got in the tub and about 1 hr later nurse came to check on me. I was in labor all by myself!!

I had an epi at midnight and had my dd2 at 4 am with 6 pushes. My water spontaneously broke right before I started pushing.

My second birth was like dream. I never would have believed that the two procedures were both called inductions.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
EmmaGM's Avatar
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 7,896
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies View Post
Mine was turned off and I did just fine.

It's such a shame nurses/doctors lie to their patients to suit their own needs. If that bothered you so much at your last birth try talking to your doctor again, explain your bothered with how you were treated and ask how you can prevent that type of problem in the future.
I'm going to have to bring up some issues prematurely to make sure I have time to find a new doctor if need be. Just going to wait until second tri. I do feel lied to.
__________________
Emma H&T Mama to Faolan 6/7/12 & Malachy 1/29/14
Mary born into heaven at 14 weeks
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
Cathypie's Avatar
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Western PA
Posts: 1,818
They tried to turn off my sister's and she did stop contracting, so it does happen. IMO, that probably means you aren't ready.
__________________
Cathy- mama to Aurora 6-7-09, Valeria 11-28-10 and Björn 3-2-14. Enjoying my last little baby!
Cathypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
EmmaGM's Avatar
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 7,896
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathypie View Post
They tried to turn off my sister's and she did stop contracting, so it does happen. IMO, that probably means you aren't ready.
I wish they would have at least let me try. Maybe I won't have cholestasis this time and none of this will better anyway. Haha.
__________________
Emma H&T Mama to Faolan 6/7/12 & Malachy 1/29/14
Mary born into heaven at 14 weeks
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
stevensmom's Avatar
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: a little place called Home
Posts: 50,575
My Mood:
With ds they never turned it off.


With dd I begged them to turn it off but at that point they checked me and she was right there and I pushed her out 11 min later!

***I know how to write, my iPod does not***
__________________
Erica , wife to Ben, momma to Steven11.06 Emily9.10 Matthew 8.13
Forever in my heart, always on my mind (3.09, 5.09, 12.11)
"Life's too short to buy green bananas"
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
l_Kimmie_l
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maine
Posts: 12,584
My Mood:
Re: Turning off the pit

I have had 3 pit births.

Rory's birth - went in got bumped for next day due to low staff. Then tried cervadil. Did nothing, even though I was 4 days overdue. Next day part of my water broke and we waited, nothing. Then they hooked up the pit at 10 AM. It took till 16 ml to make me have real labor contractions. I got in the tub and was contracting so hard I could barely stand it, and I normally have pain free labors. It was not painful but more the severe urge to push. I asked them to stop the pit and they said they would have to check me as I had not even dialated a cm when they started and the real contractions had only been 20 min. I was at a 9 1/2. They stopped the pit and brought me back to my room where I delivered 21 minutes later.

Quinn's Birth - I went to the peri for a water check at 39 weeks. I was told it was too low and I was going to have a baby that day. I went in and again not enough staff, We stayed over and at 9 AM the next AM I was hooked to the pit. It took to 16 ml again to begin contracting regularly. This time I labored easily for 3 hours and they turned off the pit and I delivered in the tub.

Finn's birth - I went in at 6 AM and was all hooked by 9 AM. Took till 16 ml over ALL DAY to get to normal contractions. Once I hit the tub about 2 hours in of another easy labor, they stopped the pit. I almost delivered my own baby as my midwife was delivering another baby next door....LOL! The head was out and I was not waiting when she got there. I pulled him out myself....LOL!
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.