Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Night-time solution and morning fits

My DD has been day-time and nap-time trained for about a week now. She's moved swiftly, of her own accord, and does great out in public. But we're having an issue with night-time.

I'm not trying actively to train her at night. She's 2, so it's no biggie to me. I wasn't even actively trying to potty train her, she did it herself. So, I had no problem putting her in a diaper at night, which is normally dry in the morning anyway. Until, all of the sudden, she decides to have a HUGE FIT in the mornings when I go to take it off. End of the world type of fit, you guys. Doesn't want it off, and if I do take it off, she tries to put the prefold back on herself. I left it on her one morning, thinking she'd tell me when she wants to potty, and we can take it off then. But she peed in her diaper and THEN had me take it off. Which is strange, because when I had her in diapers during the day, she'd ask me to take them off so she can potty. Any experience with this??

So, I thought I'd circumvent the issue by putting her in cloth trainers (thin, gerber-type ones) at night with a cover over the top. Of course, she pees during the middle of the night, is totally uncomfortable, so I strip them off and put her in a prefold. Same reaction the next morning.

Is there some better night-time solution I'm completely overlooking? Are there really absorbent night-time trainers that don't feel like diapers but are absorbent enough to keep her from feeling super wet if she does pee?

Or should I just keep her in a diaper at night and let her pee in it the next morning?

Advertisement

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

Re: Night-time solution and morning fits

Hmmm, we're in about the same situation. DS sometimes has a fit in the morning (even if he's dry, which is usually at least half the time) when I try to take him to the toilet. I decided with his older sister the night/half asleep screaming potty trips weren't worth it so I don't fight it, and he may pee in his diaper. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should just ditch the diapers all together and see if he stops relying on the diaper when he's too groggy to be fully awake or not. I honestly feel like that sounds like a lot of work for me and I don't want to deal with it, and figure he's not quite 2 anyways (next month he will be) so it's not a huge issue. But at the same time I'm wondering if I'm training him by not just stopping diapers and so I go back and forth wondering. Being a parent is hard!

Sorry that doesn't really help, I just figured sometimes it's nice to know others are having similar problems...
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
beet1e
Registered Users

Does she have something she likes to change into?
beet1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
Ferrum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in same situation, DS is a month from 2 and has been peeing in potty w prompting but hates doing it first thing in morning. He used to go potty in morning before we started training but now will throw a fit that disrupts breakfast and everything. I do give him a night diaper that is mostly dry except for that first pee in morning. He's ok w peeing after breakfast but I can tell he just peed onto the diaper.
I have the ocpt book and she says its ok to not deal w night training till later. But she says to take off night diaper at waking.
I suspect DS is waking very hungry and needs to eat right away.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Sarawithouth
Registered Users
seller
seller

Update: she began to wake at night and ask to potty on weekend when she was feeling poorly. So we just started putting her in panties (padded trainers, actually) at night. She's only peed in them twice and has began going potty in the mornings. I think just letting her have those few accidents helped her realize she needs to sit on the potty right before bed and first thing in the morning.

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
littlebksmommy
Registered Users

My son occasionally has a fit when I try to take his diaper off in the morning, and I've never been able to determine why. It only happens once every couple of weeks, and usually I let it slide and go about the rest of the morning routine and within about 10 or 15 minutes he lets me know he is ready to take it off. He is a mystery.
littlebksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Rachel.castlen
Registered Users

i feel like finding the right over night solution with CD can be soooo tricky and sooo individual :/.
Rachel.castlen is offline   Reply With Quote