Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

Digestion and pregnancy...help!

So, I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant with baby#4. And my stomach pretty much hates me right now. For a week straight I have had very loose BM without any other symptoms.

I went into Whole Foods to get a few things and asked them what they thought. A lady that was just pregnant suggested digestive enzymes. Has anyone had experience with this while pregnant?

Advertisement

cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
ekeith28
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Digestion and pregnancy...help!

I have bad reflux, and I'll take digestive enzymes for that. I think they "recommend" it because the enzymes are also found in our bodies, thus not an extra herb or supplement that isn't created in the body.
I think some enzyme formulas have more active enzymes than others though.

Get 150,000+ free online coupon codes, printable grocery coupons, restaurant coupons, cash back and more at ShopAtHome.com!
ekeith28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Enzymes or beneficial bacteria (acidophilus)? Either or both should be fine because it's what is supposed to be in your gut anyway, and with our modern diets and high-cleanliness culture, Americans tend to lose some of that balance and have digestive issues.

My prenatal has acidophilus right in it along with some herbs to help calm your stomach.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Rainbow Brite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Papaya enzyme seems to help me a lot. I'm 25 weeks. I also take the stuff found in yogurt (like the ladies above said) in pill form.
Rainbow Brite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
aliyahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

I am currently 29 weeks with my 3rd and have been experiencing the same thing for about 4 weeks or so. I am eating alot of fruits and vegetables but I'm still surprised to be having so many tummy cramps. I don't know for sure but this is my 1st pregnancy without a gall bladder so I think my symptoms might have something to do with that
Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
mama2tommy
Registered Users
seller

Are you taking a cal/mag supplement? Magnesium can sometimes cause this.

Acupuncture can also help with digestive issues.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
*TinyJoys*
Registered Users

I have a lot of digestive issues right now (28 weeks). I'm more prone to digestive issues anyway, but it gets worse when pregnant. I take plant digestive enzymes and sometimes probiotics, both seem to help. I also try to avoid triggers, like acidic foods (fruits and vegetables included), cow dairy and wheat gluten (I have a bit of an intolerance).
Old 07-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
bazil323
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tommy View Post
Are you taking a cal/mag supplement? Magnesium can sometimes cause this.
Good point! Magnesium is important in pregnancy (helps with cramps & pain), but some forms are more easily absorbed than others. The ones that aren't absorbed easily leave more of it in your colon, and then you get diarrhea. Magnesium oxide is not well absorbed and so can cause diarrhea, but it's also one of the cheapest and most common forms. I think magnesium citrate (this one scores the best on absorbtion according to a study by Torsten Bohn, Ph.D., at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), magnesium taurate, magnesium gluconate or glycinate, and magnesium lactate are some of the most easily absorbed ones.
bazil323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil323 View Post
Good point! Magnesium is important in pregnancy (helps with cramps & pain), but some forms are more easily absorbed than others. The ones that aren't absorbed easily leave more of it in your colon, and then you get diarrhea. Magnesium oxide is not well absorbed and so can cause diarrhea, but it's also one of the cheapest and most common forms. I think magnesium citrate (this one scores the best on absorbtion according to a study by Torsten Bohn, Ph.D., at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), magnesium taurate, magnesium gluconate or glycinate, and magnesium lactate are some of the most easily absorbed ones.
Thank you for the info! I did look into some magnesium supplements at Whole Foods but on the back of the bottle it said something about if you have soft stool you know you are taking enough. Since that was what I was trying to solve, I put the magnesium back and got the digestive enzymes.
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote