Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: No maternity insurance? What about a possible NICU stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Oh no, before insurance. Eek. We paid a $350 hospital stay copay and a $150 deductible. She also spent a month on oxygen and 2 months on home health care after discharge. No out of pocket cost.
Wow! 45K seems really, really low for a NICU stay. DS2 was in there for his whole 27 days of life, and his "big" bill was almost 400K, and that didn't include a bunch of the little bills that were on his file as well.

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karikos
If you were to purchase insurance privately, all of the plans say "no maternity coverage" because you have to purchase what is called a maternity "rider" on the policy. I couldn't find one online when I was purchasing mine and had to call and talk to the agent on the phone, then he emailed me the .pdf file with the information on the maternity riders.

It's best to have that in place before a pregnancy happens because then they can pull the "pre existing condition" waiting period crap, at least until the beginning of 2014, if you purchase the plan and rider after you've already found out you're pregnant. But, the pregnancy Medicaid sounds like it would still be worth the headache if worst comes to worst.
Exactly. That waiting period is usually about a year too.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Exactly. That waiting period is usually about a year too.
180 days is what mine is, through BCBS, "officially". I say that because they've been paying a portion of it from day 1, so it's possible that they'll pay it right off the bat, but they tell you there will be a waiting period anyway just in case the insurance doesn't.
Old 07-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #14
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you know if any of the hospitals around you do charity care? My dh works for a chain of non profit hospitals (he works at the children's hospital) and they write of Millions of dollars every year. They have payment plans you can apply for and especially with children involved they write a lot of it off. That might be an option to look into, but I'm not sure if there are many of those around other places besides here?
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
YarnCrazy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi! If you qualify for medicaid, I would definetly look at that first. I was in a similar boat recently, and we had to get the insurance privately. I called Anthem BCBS to get it with a maternity option. Also I am pretty sure the previous poster is right, once the baby is delivered the NICU would be billed as the baby as a patient and not considered a maternity issue so it should be covered best of luck to you!!!
YarnCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

texas medicaid has kicked in really fast for us in the past and back pays everything. If your on it baby automatically is when born so nicu is covered. That is your best option tbh. We paid Births OOP too and used our insurance but since we still qualified i went ahead and got it as back up bc you just never know. S was in the nicu so what insurance didnt pick up medicaid did.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
JasmineMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pay out of pocket for my insurance b/c my husband is self employed. We don't pay that much for a family of 4 ($600) and it is so high because my DS1 had Kawasakis and has to have follow up with a cardiologist and DS2 had eye surgery. It covers everything with no deductible in network.

Have you seen this site? http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/

It walks you through what you are looking for and what you can afford to pay. I'd probably do that rather than go through an agent so you can save yourself some money.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We pay out of pocket too bc we are self employed. We have no medical ins for maternity. But, they do cover complications. They also cover the baby 100% following the birth - for normal or complications in the same way they cover any other member of your family - so whatever coverage you all have is what the baby will have. So, if your baby needed a nicu stay, that would be covered the smae way your other coverage is dealt with.

As far as what counts as a "complication of maternity", that would vary I'm sure. With ours ,it had to be something really really serious. So, if u did homebirth and needed a transport that wouldn't be covered unless it was major - not just pain or slow moving labor, etc.

Anyway, that's how mine worked

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #19
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Wow! 45K seems really, really low for a NICU stay. DS2 was in there for his whole 27 days of life, and his "big" bill was almost 400K, and that didn't include a bunch of the little bills that were on his file as well.
I wonder if the 45 is what the insurance actually paid rather than the original billed amount.
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Another vote for medicaid :-)