Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
madison'smama
Registered Users

My Mood:
C-section and weightloss... or not

Hi ladies,

I had an emergency C-section about 7 months ago. Since then I have only lost 20 out of the 60 pounds that I gained. Has anyone had success in going back to their pre pregnancy weight after a C-section? I thought I'd lose the weight much faster with breastfeeding, but the scale isn't budging and I'm ALWAYS hungry!

Advertisement

madison'smama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
s2grace
Registered Users
seller

My first was a c section. I came home from the hospital 12 lbs lighter and never lost another lb till 9 months later when I went on south beach. My second was a vbac and it was the same. Not everyone has the weight fall off with nursing. I was so bummed about it.

I just had a friend lose 15 lbs post baby by using my fitness pal. She added in at least 600 cals for nursing but it helped keep her on track
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

It is possible. With my 1st I dropped weight really really fast. Within 6 months I was 15 lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight. I ate really healthy and worked out 3-4 times a week. With my 2nd it's a whole different story. I dropped down to my usual not working out weight. I haven't been able to hit the gym with my crazy busy schedule. Hopefully that will change soon though.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison'smama View Post
Hi ladies,

I had an emergency C-section about 7 months ago. Since then I have only lost 20 out of the 60 pounds that I gained. Has anyone had success in going back to their pre pregnancy weight after a C-section? I thought I'd lose the weight much faster with breastfeeding, but the scale isn't budging and I'm ALWAYS hungry!
I never lost weight BFing, my 1st was a emergency c/s, vaginal on the next two. My body just doesn't cooperate that way. I'd start with gentle exercises to strengthen your tender abs, don't push it.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
crunch!910
Registered Users

Re: C-section and weightloss... or not

I never bounced back. I always have 30+lbs to lose after being pregnant, and that's after losing the initial baby weight immediatley postpartum! I'm still 30lbs (well, more like 20lbs if I want to be realistic as to what I could actually lose without looking like a skeleton or starving myself or running marathons every weekend) overweight 15months PP. In fact, with my oldest, even when I was dieting and exercising, I was not abl eto lose weight. When I weaned, I finalllly started losing weight. My 15mo old is still nursing.. hence.. unable to lose weight, even though I've dieted and exercised.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had two c-sections and both kids were breastfed. I didn't really start losing weight until around 9 months postpartum. I don't think the c-sections had much to do with it for me, that's just the time frame in which my body seems to revert back to normal.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

First C-section I lost it all within a month. I was in pre pregnancy clothes at 2 weeks. Yeah I was lucky!

Second c-section I didn't loose it all till I stopped breastfeeding and then it just fell off within a month.

This time I really don't care.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #8
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I lost the weight within a month and then kept losing until it started affecting my milk supply. I started eating more and my weight has finally stabilized. So it's possible but not everyone's body responds the same way. It also depends on how much weight you gained during pregnancy. And if you kept eating about the same during and after the pregnancy.

Hang in there. I just started working out.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
Kštzchen
Registered Users
seller

I lost it all, and then some..and then some more, and now I'm 84lbs and still breast feeding and in ED recovery. A cesarean section really doesn't affect your metabolism.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a vaginal birth with my first 2, then c-section with the 3rd. I am about 10 lbs away from my prepregnancy weight, baby is almost 10 months old.

For me it has way more to do with just an insane schedule...all 3 were breastfed, that didn't do a thing for my weight. If anything it makes it harder to lose, none of mine have slept through the night at an early age (this one still getting up several times) so I think sleep deprivation makes your body hold on to fat as well. For me it really has more to do with at what point I melt down and get tired of being fat, and find a way to get in workouts. With one kid, I just joined a YMCA and took him to the daycare there. I was at a good weight at 8 months. With #2, it took seeing pictures of myself at her first birthday to make me freak out. Even then it was hard to get in workouts, 2 kids 16 months apart don't exactly take care of themselves while you try to work out. When I would try to go on walks with the stroller the baby would always be screaming, the older one didn't want to sit, it was just frustrating. I ended up doing Weight Watchers and had success. With this one I finally joined a gym when she was 9 months and told dh he had to stay with the kids, even if it's just from 6-7 in the morning. Working out makes me eat healthier, and just feel better all around.

Now if I could just get her to sleep through the night, I think I could drop this last 10 lbs...

Good luck, for me there has been no easy weight loss. I have always had to really work out and watch what I eat, it has been no different after baby. Except that I just don't have time to work out like I used to...

Also, before I started working out, I started drinking green smoothies for 1-2 meals a day...I lost about 15-18 lbs. just doing that. I plateaued though, which is when I started working out.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote