Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
sdawdy
Registered Users
seller

VBAC

We are going to try and get pregnant soon. DD is 4 now. Had an emergency c-section (cord double wrap-blue baby and NICU= not fun). Before that it was 18 hours of natural labor. Want to try again. Any experience with this ladies? Would love some positive stories.

Advertisement

sdawdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Katie Mae
Registered Users
seller

Re: VBAC

No NICU or true "emergency" here, but my first (DD) was a C-Section due to "Failure to Progress/the disproportional thing claiming baby is too big" after 24 hours of completely natural labor. Really, I think it was failure to wait, but that is beside the point. DS was born VBAC, with pitocin and consequently an epidural, in 18 hours (because my body just labors so slowly, and they didn't want to wait anymore they gave me piton). He was bigger than DD, so babies can definitely fit through me. I'm determined to get my natural childbirth this time around, and the doctor I'm seeing now (we've moved) is totally supportive, so we will see. But if there are emergency complications (and a cord being wrapped definitely sounds scary to me!) I would welcome a C-Section and be grateful we live at a time we can be taken care of.

I don't know how this labor will go, but I feel like I am determined to try again for a natural birth. I just think I'm going to try to stay home a lot longer this time around before going in to the hospital, because it takes so long for labor to progress I'd rather be at home than stuck hooked up to monitors at the hospital with everyone freaking out if I'm not dilating as fast as they think I should be. I'm willing to run the risk of a home birth if something truly went crazy and I had a super fast labor, but I personally just don't feel that we will have that happen. I'll be lucky probably to get to the hospital dilated past 5 or 6 cm at the rate both other labors have progressed, but I'm going to listen to my body and we will go in when we do.

As long as you've talked to your doctor about doing a VBAC, you should be able to at least try. I was personally more determined to avoid a CS than an epidural (which scared me) so I took the epi and pit in order to dilate faster so they would do a CS. It worked great, and I am grateful because I had an awful recovery from my CS. There are risks both to a repeat CS and VBAC, and I personally decided that the VBAC for me was a safer option to at least try for. I know a lady who decided with her dr that because of the reasons of her first CS, it was much safer to just have a repeat CS. Just research VBAC and research repeat CS and read your operative report from your prior CS and make the best informed decision you can!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
caroline5
Registered Users
seller

I had a fabulous vbac after a really difficult first birth. My first was a brow presentation, one position that absolutely requires a csection. My second was in the perfect position! We were out of the hospital with him 18 hrs after his birth. I felt great! And I was out walking with hi in the sling in the sunshine a little over 24 hrs. I would recommend that you take a vbac class, find a small hospital/center and practice that are used to vbacs and educate yourself! Rear Ina may for starters!
caroline5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Emergency c-section with DD1 at 31 weeks due to loss of her identical twin with a 6 week NICU stay. DD2 vaginal with an epidural and a little pitocin, 12 hours of labor. DD2 vaginal with epidural, no pitocin, water broke at home, 6 hours of labor.

ETA: DD2 was transverse til literally 3 days before labor started, and was posterior with wicked back labor. DD3 was breech til 37 weeks, also posterior with wicked back labor.

Last edited by mibarra; 07-23-2013 at 08:20 PM.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline5 View Post
I had a fabulous vbac after a really difficult first birth. My first was a brow presentation, one position that absolutely requires a csection. My second was in the perfect position! We were out of the hospital with him 18 hrs after his birth. I felt great! And I was out walking with hi in the sling in the sunshine a little over 24 hrs. I would recommend that you take a vbac class, find a small hospital/center and practice that are used to vbacs and educate yourself! Rear Ina may for starters!
Just an aside - I delivered a brow presentation baby at home naturally. They don't ALWAYS require a c-section, although it is more common with that position. I had a large enough pelvis with a small enough baby for it to work. My midwives said if I could push him out like that, I could deliver anything.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

i had a c-section with my 1st because she was turned face-presentation. not an emergency, but the hospital told me i couldn't deliver the baby myself. the hospital also told me i "could" be a candidate for VBAC, but i'd have to give birth in a hospital with surgeons on call "just in case" i needed an emergency c-section. here are my tips:

1) find a doula, preferably one familiar with VBACs
2) find a GOOD midwife, OB, someone who has experience with VBACs
3) find a GOOD hospital, not one that will push you into a repeat c-section
4) study different birthing methods. we studied the bradley method and helped immensely

the more you know about VBACs, the better off you'll be. if you just wing it you might be influenced by other people telling you "just get a c-section."

newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

DD1 was an emergency c-section, though a different situation than yours OP. DD2 and DD3 were VBACs, 12 and 6 hour labors.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote