Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
idigchaitea
Registered Users
seller

Will engorgement end?

I've been breastfeeding for 3 months now, and if my baby happens to sleep through the night (his record is 7 or 8 hours), I wake up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain because I am so engorged! I hurry to his room, wake him up, and beg him to nurse me out of pain without falling asleep. So I'm wondering, will engorgement ever end and if so, when? I think I get new stretch marks everytime this happens!

Advertisement

idigchaitea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
mommiesnohow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Will engorgement end?

I think it just depends on the person. My LO is 6 months and I still get engorged when he sleeps longer.

I actually don't wake him up, I just get up and pump a little out. If I don't, he tends to choke because too much is flowing out.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
kate2128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Eventually, mama. With ds 1 I had to wear a bra at night for a year because I would get uncomfortably full overnight and not wearing a bra made it more uncomfortable. So with him it took awhile. This time around, ds2 prefers to spend the night at the buffet, so engorgement isn't an issue at night. Usually. That said, the other night, he slept in his own bed until 4 am and I woke up in some serious pain. And he still wouldn't really nurse when I brought him to bed. So I was really engorged by morning. And he's 8 months old. Sorry if this isn't very helpful. But the engorgement should at least improve over the next few months, if not go away entirely.

kate2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I made the mistake of pumping a ton in the beginning and it took several months for my supply to regulate. As your LO nightime schedule becomes more regular so will your milk supply. My DD started sleeping through the night regularly around three months but it probably took at least another month to not wake up totally engorged. The key (at least for me) was to hand express (usually into the sink) just enough to become comfortable again. If you pump too much you will just keep producing.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It will get better slowly. I guess it also depends on how long you are going to nurse. My ds is almost 9 monthes old and I still get engorged if he doesn't nurse within 4-5 hours. In my experience, once the baby is over 18 monthes it very rarely happens, but I supose everyone is different.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #6
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The best thing to do is pump just enough to relieve the ache so you can get back to sleep. By having him nurse at night, you will continue to get "too much" milk at night. It will get better. (If you don't have a pump, you can hand express enough to relieve the engorgement w/out increasing your milk supply)