Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question 1 year old weaning questions

I am starting a new job in August, DS turns 1 in September, I don't think my new job will accomidate me pumping more than once a day.

What are my options, can i give him cows milk during the day but nurse in morning night? should I cut down to one bottle during the day and continue pumping?

What did you do?

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 1 year old weaning questions

59 views and not one reply
Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
bethdrews
Registered Users
seller

I'm one of the views, but I honestly don't know what to tell you. I'm nursing for the first time and he's not quite a year old...haven't weaned yet. I think whatever you do, you should start before you go back to work so your baby is used to it already. It will really depend on what he will take. Will he take cow's milk? Breast milk will always be best, but my little guy won't take breast milk from anything except the breast. He won't take a bottle and if I put it in his sippy cup, he makes a bad face and throws it down. I've never been away from him more than a couple hours because no one else knows what to do with him. He may still be nursing when he's 20!?!
bethdrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil
I am starting a new job in August, DS turns 1 in September, I don't think my new job will accomidate me pumping more than once a day.

What are my options, can i give him cows milk during the day but nurse in morning night? should I cut down to one bottle during the day and continue pumping?

What did you do?
Sorry, I viewed before but never came back to reply. Generally, when my kids turn one, if they don't self wean (3 did right about then), I stop pumping at work. Mostly from laziness. Pumping is hard work. I continue nursing when I am with them and on weekends. I've never had a supply issue so take that with a grain of salt. #2, #5, and #6 all nursed beyond a year with #2 nursing for 2 1/2 yrs, #5 for 15 months (weaned due to pregnancy exhaustion) and #6 currently still nursing at almost 2 yrs and showing no sign of stopping.

You might want to try pumping the one time available during the day and nursing just before and after work to help keep your supply up. There is no problem with giving cows milk during the day but none of my kids never got into drinking milk once they weaned. They went onto eating tons of food and drinking other things. If your supply doesn't suffer and he isnt having issues I would then drop the pumping session. (FYI issues refers to my YDD who is underweight or a child who seems to not be satisfied after nursing which would be indicative of low supply).
Good luck.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0mof6 View Post
Sorry, I viewed before but never came back to reply. Generally, when my kids turn one, if they don't self wean (3 did right about then), I stop pumping at work. Mostly from laziness. Pumping is hard work. I continue nursing when I am with them and on weekends. I've never had a supply issue so take that with a grain of salt. #2, #5, and #6 all nursed beyond a year with #2 nursing for 2 1/2 yrs, #5 for 15 months (weaned due to pregnancy exhaustion) and #6 currently still nursing at almost 2 yrs and showing no sign of stopping.

You might want to try pumping the one time available during the day and nursing just before and after work to help keep your supply up. There is no problem with giving cows milk during the day but none of my kids never got into drinking milk once they weaned. They went onto eating tons of food and drinking other things. If your supply doesn't suffer and he isnt having issues I would then drop the pumping session. (FYI issues refers to my YDD who is underweight or a child who seems to not be satisfied after nursing which would be indicative of low supply).
Good luck.
thanks this helps, currently he has two bottles while i'm at work and id just rather cut it down to one bottle or none at all.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #6
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDaffodil

thanks this helps, currently he has two bottles while i'm at work and id just rather cut it down to one bottle or none at all.
Glad it helped you some. I meant to respond the first time I read your post but I was NAKing and YDD likes my full attention causing multiple mistakes esp. Using my iPod.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Up to you. My toddler who I suddenly stopped nursing at 14mo because I was pregnant & all party members were grumpy we had to go to almond milk in transition. Now she drinks at 2 yrs whole milk & currently a bit of expressed as I can't donate as she was ill & bank won't take.

Like a friend said make it what you want. For instance she had problems with supply like me first time but unlike me who the second was the charm, she struggled still. She ended up using an assister(maybe or) to nurse longer, which she wanted to do. She was happier nursing like that than not at all.

I know people that nurse in morning & night only after they return to work.
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #8
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

You might also find that your LO will naturally cut down on how much breastmilk they want as they get closer to 1 in favor of solids. That's what is happening with my DD. I stay home with her, but she goes much longer without nursing and it's mostly when she's tired that she wants to and first thing after waking. Some days we only nurse in bed. She started dropping nursing sessions right around 10.5-11 months. She'll be 13 months on Sunday. So, it seems reasonable to me to think you could cut back to 1 bottle a day soon and maybe a sippy with whole milk after your LO turns 1 if you can't or don't want to pump.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
You might also find that your LO will naturally cut down on how much breastmilk they want as they get closer to 1 in favor of solids. That's what is happening with my DD. I stay home with her, but she goes much longer without nursing and it's mostly when she's tired that she wants to and first thing after waking. Some days we only nurse in bed. She started dropping nursing sessions right around 10.5-11 months. She'll be 13 months on Sunday. So, it seems reasonable to me to think you could cut back to 1 bottle a day soon and maybe a sippy with whole milk after your LO turns 1 if you can't or don't want to pump.
The only time DS really wants it, is in the morning and night. During the day I'm the one that offers it. He loves loves solids and will gobble them up, I actually have a hard time knowing when he's done because he eats so much!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
abbazabba
Registered Users

I quit pumping at 1. Started giving her cows milk for the feedings during work hours. It made it a lot easier and less stressful for me. My LO didn't seem to mind at all.
abbazabba is offline   Reply With Quote