Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Running/excercising gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
My knees were killing me when I started running. Then I bought some New Balance Minimus running shoes and my knee pain after running was gone. I'm doing my first 5k in a few weeks too.
Good luck. I am really nervous but excited too!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post
Injinji performance light weight no show socks are the only socks I wear with my Brooks. I do my longer runs in Newton Distance, but I can wear anything from a basic cotton to my new favorite from asics, the nimbus sock, in those. Shoes are also always a half size up or my 2nd toenail falls off. Even good well known running shoes are completely different within the styles of the brand & depending on your foot & stride.

What I wear up top doesn't really bother me at all when I run. Nike tempo shorts & a Champion Target sports bra are my usual for outdoor runs. Under Armour tank tops and the Target Champion capri length tights are my usual indoor workout clothes. Nike, Under Armour & Target Champion have never fallen apart on me. Lululemon is overpriced junk. Old Navy athletic is super uncomfortable and oddly cut for me. Old cotton t shirts that are worn & soft are heaven. I'm also a fan of the cutting out/off sleeves/sides to make my own t-shirt tank & just wearing a sports bra underneath.

My other usual every day running gear, Brooks New Orleans RnR running visor or my white Brooks running hat (love them both!), Tifosi veloce glasses, old 6th gen iPod nano, Philips sport hook headphones, sport sunscreen & my Garmin forerunner 610. My runs seriously stink if I dont have the above. I'll still run, but its not the same
Now THIS is an answer. The socks you are talking about are toe socks right? Comfy? Must be if you like them Now I have a huge list of wants so I just need to figure it all out. I size up a bit on my shoes also as I cant stand to have my toes touching the end of my shoe. Also I have found a way to relace my shoes since my big toe rubs a hole through the shoe but, I am not convinced at all that I like how that feels.
I am really getting excited about finally enjoying my jogging/running efforts and I look forward to getting more confident in doing an actual 5K run and slowly moving my way up. How far do you run normally? Thanks for taking time to fill me in on all of the details
Old 07-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
coffeemama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where do you getting fitted for shoes? Sounds interesting
Old 07-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #14
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

You get fitted for shoes at a local running shoe.

My favorite socks are the smartwool and the injinji. We have very cold winters were I live, and can wear the smartwool socks in the freezing cold and also in our hot summers. I use to love the Brooks PureFlow shoe but have recently started to wear Sauconys. I wear the same shoes for my short runs as well as my long runs.

As far as clothing goes, I can wear just about any brand of athletic wear. I avoid running in cotton because of chafing another fact that it feels heavy once it is wet. I own Nike, Under Armour, Target, Old Navy, Reebok, Brooks, Asics, and Addias clothing and they all ha r held up well. My favorite thing to run in is compression shorts and a singlet. My favorite sports bra is the target ones and Moving Comfort. I also wear a 6dollarbands.com headband. It is the ONLY headband that I have found to stay in my hair and they are pretty affordable.

Other things I always run with are my Garmin 305, Oakley sunglasses and a Nathan handheld water bottle (in the summer). I don't normally run with music, but do have an iPod with the earbuds that hook on your ears. My favorite fuel for long runs are Shot Bloks.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How do you carry your Clif Bloks? I find the packaging very awkward. It works okay on my bike because I have the big pockets on my back, but running I find the Sports Beans or Gu are easier to carry.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
How do you carry your Clif Bloks? I find the packaging very awkward. It works okay on my bike because I have the big pockets on my back, but running I find the Sports Beans or Gu are easier to carry.
I normally just stick the package in my sports bra, lol. Sometimes I stick them in a little baggie and put in my shorts pocket or the little pocket of my handheld water bottle. 9 times out of 10 they are just sticking out of my sports bra strap.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
I only use them for runs of 8+ miles, but I will eat one or two before I start, and then if I am running 10+, I stick a couple in my inside shorts pocket. They get a little sticky, but by that point I don't care.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #18
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by savingmomof2boys
You get fitted for shoes at a local running shoe.

My favorite socks are the smartwool and the injinji. We have very cold winters were I live, and can wear the smartwool socks in the freezing cold and also in our hot summers. I use to love the Brooks PureFlow shoe but have recently started to wear Sauconys. I wear the same shoes for my short runs as well as my long runs.

As far as clothing goes, I can wear just about any brand of athletic wear. I avoid running in cotton because of chafing another fact that it feels heavy once it is wet. I own Nike, Under Armour, Target, Old Navy, Reebok, Brooks, Asics, and Addias clothing and they all ha r held up well. My favorite thing to run in is compression shorts and a singlet. My favorite sports bra is the target ones and Moving Comfort. I also wear a 6dollarbands.com headband. It is the ONLY headband that I have found to stay in my hair and they are pretty affordable.

Other things I always run with are my Garmin 305, Oakley sunglasses and a Nathan handheld water bottle (in the summer). I don't normally run with music, but do have an iPod with the earbuds that hook on your ears. My favorite fuel for long runs are Shot Bloks.
How do you not run with music?? I'd be so bored!!
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't exercise with music. It messes with my focus. I've grown to love the sound of my feet on the ground.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #20
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_arnold View Post

How do you not run with music?? I'd be so bored!!
I normally run with other people, so we just talk and carry on conversation. Only once a week do I run by myself. When I do run solo, I am running through my neighborhood, so I like to be able to listen for cars.