Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #51
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gender-bending halloween issues

Holy Old Thread Batman!

I personally would not do it here. My kids have enough characters they like that I would buy a costume of someone else--Clifford, Super Why, Batman, etc. Kids don't get everything they want.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #52
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd love an update op. what did he end up wearing?

Personally, I'd let my son(if I had one) rock the dress, but my family is super awesome and wouldn't be mean to him.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #53
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley View Post
I'd love an update op. what did he end up wearing?

Personally, I'd let my son(if I had one) rock the dress, but my family is super awesome and wouldn't be mean to him.
I made him a dorothy dress but in the end he refused to wear any costume.

In retrospect, I regret worrying about it at all. I have a.feeling he may reject costumes alltogether for a couple years. I hope it's not because he picked up a weird vibe from me.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #54
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireni
I think it is important for children's self-esteem that their parents do not talk them into wearing something they don't like.
Otherwise one day a "friendly neighbor" may be able to talk him out of his pants.
This is a great post.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #55
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

me and my friend dressed her nephew up like a ballerina for his first (or second)halloween. If I remember correctly he won the costume contest. lol He wasn't going to go out, and we wanted to take him but didn't have any costumes, and a neighbor happened to have a ballerina costume from one of her kids or something so we used it. lol

he was awesome looking.

I really don't think at 2.5 I'd be all that worried about it. It's july. I wouldn't even think this is the end all, be all costume idea. it could change next week, next month, 2 weeks out from halloween.. lol

and if it doesn't... then he goes as dorothy. make sure you take lots of pictures for his graduation party.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #56
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeCo7707 View Post
I kind of feel that this is the sentiment: "Society says "XYZ" and I don't want my kid hurt so I will conform to society while bringing them up to be themselves and individuals."

I don't think it works that way. I think that by conforming to societal norms you teach children to be safe, conform, and to be scared of judgement. They become adults who may not take chances and worry what others think. Sure they may end up being loved and admired by others but if they aren't true to themselves does it actually matter? Then again some children grow up and are huge risk takers and may have never bent "gender norms".

At two I dressed up as a cowboy and had facial hair and everything I say if I had a son and he wanted to be dorthy I wouldn't care...if he wanted to be an old lady with a walker and droopy boobs I would even construct a pair of birdseed boobs for him. The beauty in the costume is the expression and the fun. Might people judge him? Yes, might they say mean things? Yes. People say mean things ALL THE TIME, we have COUNTLESS thread on DS about the mean things people say to us. Sometimes as ADULTS we are hurt by words, we second guess our actions, we should be teaching our children how to handle stupid mean people not how to avoid them.

YES. THIS.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #57
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

My youngest daughter was Spiderman. Yes, the one with the muscles built in. I cut holes in the mask to pull pigtails through, and I'm telling you EVERYONE in that uppity neighborhood commented on it. They said they wished their DD's wanted to be something besides Tink. Lol. I also had a zombie prisoner (girl, I was in uniform, so the cop) and a Sleeping Beauty. I have the best of both worlds to have 3 girls. What did make me livid was when a coworker suggested I might be pushing my youngest into being "gay like me". That one received a tongue lashing, as I couldn't give a hoot what my kids sexual preferences are. Especially at 4.
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #58
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

I know this is a zombie thread, but I thought I would chime in with a couple pieces of light reading for everyone that should help those who don't understand see the other side:
http://www.blogher.com/my-son-gay - a womans 5 year old son decided to be Daphine from Scooby Doo

http://raisingmyrainbow.com/ - a womans blog about her gender creative son
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #59
BootsNBuckles
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbutt Diapers View Post
I know this is a zombie thread, but I thought I would chime in with a couple pieces of light reading for everyone that should help those who don't understand see the other side:
http://www.blogher.com/my-son-gay - a womans 5 year old son decided to be Daphine from Scooby Doo

http://raisingmyrainbow.com/ - a womans blog about her gender creative son
Um, love this?! My partner and I parent my 3 girls from a prior relationship and plan on her eventually conceiving as well. We try to be neutral as much as possible.
Brittany , Student and Wife to Omar , Proud parents of 3 girls, M, 9, J, 7 & E, 5 and hoping for bean #4 very soon! Team BLUE

Last edited by BootsNBuckles; 07-20-2013 at 12:56 PM.
BootsNBuckles is offline   Reply With Quote