Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Annedee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My baby doesn't know the cue to pee

I want to EC my 8 mo DD, but she will hold her pee while I'm sitting on the floor with her. She gets antsy, so I know that she needs to go. I try holding her over a bucket, but she does not know the cue to pee and continues to hold it until I give up, and stand up and move away from her.

I was trying to EC her with pooping when she was younger, but once she started solids everything changed and I couldn't count on a pattern anymore, so I decided to take a break. Now she's in daycare during the afternoons, so it's much more difficult to do EC since its only for a couple hours in the morning and evening.

Is this something that is even going to work for us? I don't even know how to teach her the cue to go pee

Advertisement

Annedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
greenmamabecky
Registered Users
seller

Re: My baby doesn't know the cue to pee

Following
Married to my soulmate With 2 boys, William(4-2-10) and Creedence(2-1-13, dd 4-12-13) and TTC #3

ISO cute wool covers sz 0-3m and other unique diapers of any kind (boy or gn)
greenmamabecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #3
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

Try when she first wakes up in the morning and after a nap.
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
Annedee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooneeWilga View Post
Try when she first wakes up in the morning and after a nap.
I'm unfortunately too slow in the mornings, but I took her diaper off while nursing her after her nap yesterday, cuz she was dry, and, when she was done, I took her to the bathroom and set her on a couple prefolds in hopes that she would pee. She peed a very tiny amount, so I replaced the top prefold with a dry one and I waited a few minutes in the bathroom with her, but she didn't go. I went to get her some clothes and when I came back she had peed. I don't know why she won't pee with me there.
Annedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Kcm1535
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At first your catches will probably just be based on timing. You have a good shot if you offer not only right after she wakes up, but also upon any "transition" (e.g. taking her out of baby carrier / stroller / high chair, etc.). Whenever she pees during one of those opportunities, make your cueing sound.

You can also try having some naked time each day (e.g. 30 min - a few hours). This might be harder now that she is probably crawling around, but it's the best way to observe when she's going at other times. Whenever you see her going (and you really can't take your eyes off of her for a second - otherwise of course you'll miss it ), make the cueing sound.

Between those two things, she should soon associate the sound with peeing, and soon she will pee on command. At least that's what worked for my son. We started doing EC fairly casually, and he started peeing on command I think around 5mo.

good luck!
Kcm1535 is offline   Reply With Quote