Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
yatts10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Best curriclum for 4 year old

I'm sure this has been asked a ton of times, so please feel free to share links to threads regarding this. I am looking for something to do part time with my 4 year old. She will be in Montessori school 3 days a week, but I like to do "mommy school" too. I would really like to follow a curriculum in order to build on skills. I am not a teacher so I don't know what she needs to know in what order if that makes sense.

I am not really looking for a Christian based curriculum, though I will look into into it if It is highly recommended. Looking for something fun, but challenging. TIA!

Advertisement

yatts10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
mommadeeof4+
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best curriclum for 4 year old

Before 5 in a row is wonderful it is super fun and we make lapbooks and get printables from here http://homeschoolcreations.com/Liter...rintables.html and if you google you can find other places to print things out... i guess i wouldn't call it challenging though so im not sure if it is what you are looking for!

Last edited by mommadeeof4+; 07-20-2013 at 06:51 AM.
mommadeeof4+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
MommyofIan
Registered Users
seller

I was homeschooled half my life before going to college. I would say Abeka ( just skip the bible stuff). This curriculum will prep your child for K5. Focus on math, reading, writing, and spelling. Keep in mind that children learn though play. Make it fun. My son is 22 months. He knows the alphabet, letters 1-10, 30+ signs (ASL), most shapes, and all his colors. I read a lot to him... So, read, read, read. Also, I use Melissa and Doug puzzles to teach. All children learn at different paces. So, see how your child learns the best, then buy a curriculum based on her learning style. Hope that helps!
MommyofIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
sweetppolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are using Peak with Books with our 4 year old. I am also using a K math workbook I picked up on ebay for cheap, Scott Foresman~looks fun. We have Happy Phonics and I will work on the early learning activities in it but not rushing anyone. Otherwise, we play with play dough, tangrams, lacing beads, blocks, bingo dot markers, stickers. He LOVES to cut and glue; so, I am looking for some extra Kumon workbooks for him to do more of that stuff. I printed a Calendar book for him from Mama's Learning Center also. It was free. This looks cool also, if we were not doing Peak, I would do this: http://www.walkingbytheway.com/blog/read-to-me-abc/ Her site has religious stuff but the program looks pretty neutral.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
JayDee38
Registered Users

My Mood:

I donít have a child that young, but we use ZB for our curriculum and I just looked at their site and saw that they have this fun ď PreKindergarten Kit.Ē I think itís awesome that itís all-inclusive with alphabet cards, sing-along songs, Wikki Stixģ, dry-erase boards, etc. If you click on the actual graphic image at the top of the page itíll take you to much more information about the program and additional early literacy stuff that they have, (for example Voices PreK; I like including some of the higher level Voices Literature & Writing program social emotional learning components in with my other lessons)

It looks like this is a perfect set up for their other Language Arts programs, especially for handwriting. Zaner-Bloser is my favorite curriculum publisher!
JayDee38 is offline   Reply With Quote