Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
moonpuppyswifey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Which boosters safest for a 40 lb 6 yr old?

My dd is turning 6 and finally hit 40lb, she really wants a booster (she's now in a radian xlts in one car a d a britax frontier in the other). I want to keep the radian but says she could get a booster for my car to replace the britax. Is it safest to get a high back booster or is it ok for a backless? I have no clue! Thx so much for your help ladies!!!

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Which boosters safest for a 40 lb 6 yr old?

My almost 6 year old has a high back graco turbo booster that he fits really well in. The height adjusts on the back to get the best fit. I don't know about what is safest, but that is what he has for DH's car which is only used around town. He is still 5 point harnessed in a Prosport in the main vehicle. I think high back boosters are safer than low back, but I have no proof to back that up because I didn't really research it.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

All seats pass the same testing and none of the results are released so as far as we know, they're equally safe.

The booster PP suggested, the Graco Turbobooster generally fits most kids well and is inexpensive. While we do not have evidence that a high back is safer than a backless, new booster riders tend to do much better in a high back because it offers more support and the back helps remind them to stay in position.

Other inexpensive options would be:

Evenflo Amp (high back version) - I would skip the Evenflo Big Kid, the belt fit isn't as good with that one.
Harmony Dreamtime
Cosco Pronto - this one requires vehicle support meaning it needs a headrest up to the tops of the child's ears behind the booster.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Ksugrl05
Registered Users

My Mood:

Join the Facebook group "car seats for the littles" they have techs who can give recommendations based on your child's size, car, etc! They are so knowledgable!
Ksugrl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

If she would be okay with the frontier in booster mode, you could save some money. But if she's insisting on a new seat, then any booster that positions the seatbelt well should be fine. The IIHS rates boosters based on how well they fit a wide variety of kids in a wide variety of vehicles, so their list of "best bets" is a good place to start.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksugrl05 View Post
Join the Facebook group "car seats for the littles" they have techs who can give recommendations based on your child's size, car, etc! They are so knowledgable!
The techs here are just as qualified. And um, the atmosphere is nicer. :hides:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
If she would be okay with the frontier in booster mode, you could save some money. But if she's insisting on a new seat, then any booster that positions the seatbelt well should be fine. The IIHS rates boosters based on how well they fit a wide variety of kids in a wide variety of vehicles, so their list of "best bets" is a good place to start.
That's what I was thinking. The Frontier seems like it would be a very comfortable booster.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a Frontier, but DD has a better fit and an easier time buckling the Turbo HBB.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would start with a HB booster just to get her used to it. My 6 year old has been in a HB for about a year now and I just recently got him a no back booster to start transitioning to over the next year. Surprisingly, in the same vehicle seat that he usually rides in, the HB booster still fits him better across the should than the no back booster does. And he has a pretty long torso. I would try them out and see what is going to fit best.
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I took my oldest shopping with me for his HBB. He has an Evenflo amp as the Turbo Booster didn't fit him well (he has wide hips) but he was a good bit older. He also liked the bright colors the amp comes in. My youngest is in the Britax HBB but it is $$$.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
moonpuppyswifey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the help I ordered her a turbo booster