Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
8 month old taken off solids

I have to write fast, I have kids waiting to play . ..

My daughter is 8 months old, and she started solids enthusiastically at 7 months old. Well, a week ago, she was not as interested and had constipation followed by diarrhea, and the kicker was the eczema I saw developing on her arm. We took her in. I asked doc if she would support my taking her off completely. She did support it (good doctor). In a month, we're going to reintroduce barley cereal (home made) and a basic veggy.

I know there are mommys out there who don't even think of solids until 12 months of age. God bless you. I wanted this, but I didn't listen to my gut. Tell me what your experience was with this. Plus, one more quesiton . . .

Do you think (nutritionally) it is bad if I had my baby on solids for 1 month (as her body/digestion adjusted) and then took her off cold turkey? Her weight is fine (18 and 8) and she is not complaining. Though, I see her grunt and strain occasionally. Have any of you done this. Lots of quesions.

Thanks

Advertisement

an 8 year old ,(VBAC), and a 4 year old (VBAC #2)
Why on earth is this laundry lady smiling?
notsomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Thrice Blessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 8 month old taken off solids

I think the only issue nutritionally might be iron-but you can supplemement if need be (they usually check iron levels at 9 mos.). Just wondering why you will be starting back w/ barley instead of rice.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've checked iron levels, she's good. we'll check again @ 9 mo. We were on brown rice cereal, but the constipation worried me. We are going with Barley which is on of the least allergenic cereals.

I just hope she'll be okay. I mean she's not complaining. I just nurse her every 2 hours and about 4 times @ night (co-sleeping buffet ). She's not ravenous or anything. I assume it's okay. I hope it is.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd didn't start solids until almost a year. When she did start, it was whatever we had for dinner, mashed up. She hated babyfood.

FWIW, barley isn't really a great first cereal to start with. Both my kiddos have gluten intolerance. We didn't know with ds and he was miserable for a long time. If that doesn't run in your family, you should be OK, but wanted to give you a heads up.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
laurelk
Registered Users

I think it is fine to take her off solids, it has only been a month and if you have enough milk, then she should be good.

my dd has had allergic reactions to foods I eat so I am on a very restricted diet. we aare introducing solids very slowly : 1 food a week, if that. I try to make all her foods myself, but there are a few single ingredient foods that I buy (arrow head mills rice puffs). she eats just some fruits and veggies, rice, millet, and quinoa. she has had a reaction to avacado (after eating it for ~1 week) and after that I have been even more cautious about introductions.

I would say that one you get you dd back to "baseline" then you should slowly introduce foods and keep a log of what she eats. this way you will know what she is reacting to and can pull that item rather than pulling all foods. (although I personally don't think it is bad to exclusively BF at this age, especially when allergies are at play).

the parents of kids with food allergies is great and a lot of help when dealing with food allergies. also- remember that some kids are allergic to things that are low on the FA list-- my dd is allergic to oats!

feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

good luck!
laurelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I started having supply issues after starting solids, but recently have had production go up after taking domperidone. DD was eating three to four (solid food) meals a day plus BF every three hours. Now she has gone down to 2 meals a day. I see no reason why if you LO is getting enough through BF not having solids for awhile would be a problem. She will let you know if she is hungry.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
abbycadabby
Banned

My Mood:

I have two sons, both exclusively breastfed (no formula at all). Son #1 started solids at 6 months exactly, 3 meals a day, fed him by the book. At 9 months he was 18 lbs. Son #2 I really haven't started solids at all with, and he is almost 10 months old (see signature, he's a chunker). He's well over 20 lbs. I asked my ped why son #2 is fatter, she says it's because I haven't started solids. Solids have less fat. When son #1 was filling up on solids, he was getting less breastmilk. Breastmilk is fattening, healthy stuff, and your LO will be just fine. I wouldn't be surprised if you notice a real difference in her comfort level (no more constipation, etc) after stopping solids for awhile. My son #2 has never been constipated or had diarrhea.
abbycadabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
notsomuch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is great info. DD did try some avocado. I wonder if that was it. I don't know what came over me with this solids thing. She was so enthusiastic. I just kept trying things (every 4 days). But, I didn't think about it! Duh! I should have spaced it out longer.

Glucose intolerance doesn't run in the family, but I know allergies do. I want to be very careful. Anyone make their own cereal? I don't want to introduce white rice.

Interesting about the difference between the weight/fat on the second child who started solids later. He is a chunker.

Oh, one more thing . . .she hasn't pooped since sun (it's wed). Usually, she goes every morning. Nothing yet. I've seen her grunt a few times, but nothing painful to her. I hope everything is okay. She's not telling me she's miserable or anything.

K