Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
RedWindmill
Registered Users

Re: Pumping at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
My schedule is as follows:

7 am: nurse baby
8 am: get to work
9:30: pump
noon: pump
2:30: pump
4:45: home to nurse baby
This is basically my schedule too, except at noon I actually nurse LO since his daycare is so close. He's 4 months old and taking 8 oz between 2 bottles. (5 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, which surprisingly is working really well right now.)

Advertisement

RedWindmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am on baby #3 and pumping at work. With each kid I have gotten better.

I would defiantly start pumping now.

I found that I have the best supply in the AM. I would feed one side (my side that I don't pump as well on) and then pump the other side every morning and sometimes twice. This gave me between 4 and 8 ounces each day.

Once returning to work this was my schedule.

Mon-Friday
5:30--feed baby (dream feed if she didn't wake up) on left side
6:00am--pump right side on my way to work--this almost always got me 4 to 5 ounces
9am--pump
1:00pm--pump.

I pick the baby up from daycare at 3:00 and feed at 3:30 when we get home. Daycare is awesome about giving the last bottle between 12 and 1.

That gave me between 12 and 16 ounces depending on the day.

Saturday/Sunday
I pumped my right side at least once each morning--get 4 to 5 ounces.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
carrascomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pumped 3x a day when I first went back to work, but now I'm down to 2x a day. I've gotten lazy about it, and it's been harder now to keep it up since I'm in meetings and struggle to find a chance to get away for 30 minutes to pump (my supply isn't that great, so I need to allow 30 minutes each time to get a worthwhile amount).

I would definitely start pumping now if you can. Before I went back the only time I could pump was at night before I went to bed, but it helped me to build up a little bit of a stash. My stash is gone now, but it definitely helped ease my mind when I was first getting into the swing of things.

Here's my schedule now:
6am - nurse
8am - nurse (if she's hungry again)
10:30ish - pump
3:30ish - pump
7pm - nurse

I sometimes still pump at night before bed too, especially if i missed a session during the day, or if I just feel like I need to.

Good luck!
carrascomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
karikos
Registered Users
seller

Curious about whether anyone has any experience going longer between pumping? When I go back to work, I'm not going to be able to pump at work. The work environment just won't provide for that (and I'll be 1 of 2 workers there during the day) and because it's a smaller business, the law makes an exception since my pumping would interfere with business and how it is conducted. I usually work 9:30 or 10-2 or 3. Would it be doable to even go that long without pumping if I made sure to feed him just before leaving for work and right after I got out?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
mother_hubbard
Registered Users

My Mood:
I think you'd be ok. I usually pump twice at work if he eats before I leave. If not then its 3 times. But I work 830 to 530. Hope that helps.
mother_hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karikos View Post
Curious about whether anyone has any experience going longer between pumping? When I go back to work, I'm not going to be able to pump at work. The work environment just won't provide for that (and I'll be 1 of 2 workers there during the day) and because it's a smaller business, the law makes an exception since my pumping would interfere with business and how it is conducted. I usually work 9:30 or 10-2 or 3. Would it be doable to even go that long without pumping if I made sure to feed him just before leaving for work and right after I got out?
Sounds like you'd be fine! I've had super busy days where I was only able to pump maybe once during a 9 hour period. My supply didn't suffer and I only got slightly uncomfortable.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #17
eflannery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I only pump 2 times per day (10AM and 2:30PM) and so far my supply is holding up nicely and I don't feel uncomfortable. But, every one is different.

I also highly recommend having spare bottles/bags and an extra set of parts at your desk just in case. Speaking from someone who had to run to the store to buy an extra set of parts today because I forgot them floating in the sink at home this morning!

I want to learn how to pump on the way to work!!! I don't think I could swing that...

Mama to Regan Louise Born July 5, 2007
and Quinn Annmarie : Born March 30th, 2013
Baby #3 expected to arrive June 14th, 2015!
eflannery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
carrascomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflannery View Post
I want to learn how to pump on the way to work!!! I don't think I could swing that...
It's actually not that bad, just kind of uncomfortable. When I pump on the way to work, I use a hands free pumping bra, and get everything set up before I leave, and cover myself up with a nursing cover. I use the battery operation option of my pump when I drive.

Of course, my commute is really long. So part way through I turn off the pump, and leave everything in place (instead of trying to unhook while on the freeway). And then when I get off the freeway and am at red lights getting to the office I work on unhooking and pouring into storage bags. I have to valet in my parking structure, so I try to have it all wrapped up before I get there so the valet guys aren't watching me unhook. lol.

But the key is to get the seat belt strap on before you hook up the tubing, so that the tubing isn't caught. And you need to be sitting far enough back that you don't hit the steering wheel with the bottles. :-)

I've done this a few times (and will probably be doing it Thursday since I have to go in early that day), and I've had no issues. And it makes my long drive a more productive time of day.
carrascomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #19
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrascomama

It's actually not that bad, just kind of uncomfortable. When I pump on the way to work, I use a hands free pumping bra, and get everything set up before I leave, and cover myself up with a nursing cover. I use the battery operation option of my pump when I drive.

Of course, my commute is really long. So part way through I turn off the pump, and leave everything in place (instead of trying to unhook while on the freeway). And then when I get off the freeway and am at red lights getting to the office I work on unhooking and pouring into storage bags. I have to valet in my parking structure, so I try to have it all wrapped up before I get there so the valet guys aren't watching me unhook. lol.

But the key is to get the seat belt strap on before you hook up the tubing, so that the tubing isn't caught. And you need to be sitting far enough back that you don't hit the steering wheel with the bottles. :-)

I've done this a few times (and will probably be doing it Thursday since I have to go in early that day), and I've had no issues. And it makes my long drive a more productive time of day.
Lol I just pumped on my way home on a long drive the other day. I have a car AC adapter and I just covered the tops of the flanges with my shirt and went on my merry way lol. I left em on for about 30 minutes and then shut it off. It takes a bit of maneuvering but its not impossible, even without a hands free bra.
~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #20
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yes. I started pumping right away and had a couple thousand oz pumped for when I returned to work since the baby wanted more milk than I could pump.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote