Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #1
bigfunbums
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Your story for my homework assignment

Hi diaperswapper mamas, I am taking an infant and toddler development class and get to do a paper on someone else's pregnancy and birth experience. Questions I need answered are
1. How did you know you were pregnant? Who, if anyone, did you tell?
2. How did your pregnancy progress?
3. Did you receive any professional prenatal care, and if so, when and what did it include?
4. Did you take any childbirth preparation classes? If so, describe the experience.
5. Describe your labor: onset, progress, length, medication, etc.
6. Describe your delivery? Who was there?
7. What do you remember about your newborn? Immediately after birth, the next day?
8. Describe the first week at home with the baby?
9. What were your experiences with breastfeeding?
10. Transitioning back to work?
So who is game? Very much appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Your story for my homework assignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfunbums View Post
Hi diaperswapper mamas, I am taking an infant and toddler development class and get to do a paper on someone else's pregnancy and birth experience. Questions I need answered are
3. Did you receive any professional prenatal care, and if so, when and what did it include?
4. Did you take any childbirth preparation classes? If so, describe the experience.
7. What do you remember about your newborn? Immediately after birth, the next day?

I have 3 kids so I will use A, B and C for each:
a. someone said something to me and I brushed it off like in the first month. Looking back I should have listened to the person. I told My ?Aunt as I wanted some input on telling my mom.

B. No one told me but I got really sick so I went to the doc (after having flood here and a boil ordinance). Told Husband

C. A gal at church said something to me like the first baby within like a month of me being pregnant and a kid my daughter went to school with so after the first kid and this happened I figured that I should listen so went to the doc for blood test as pee sticks just didn't seem to really work for me at home.

2. (how do you mean progress? kind if unsure what you mean but here's a little more info that might be here)

A. I thought I had graves so that was iun the mix but was fine.

Got in fairly early for care with B and C.

B. I was ok just monitored my thyroid in case it kicked in again with acting up

c. Thyroid was fine til the end.

3. I had prenatals with all but a. I had prenatal vitamins prescribed as I didn't have care til 20 weeks.

4. I took lamaze with A but it didn't help me much as they didn't include info on back labor. I suppose that the only good thing was info about the drugs that were an option for pain.

B and C no classes as I remembered things plus nurses just tell you things anyway.

5.&6.

Something the same for all is the weekend before I went walking a lot and then started about 8pm in pain and the start of labor:

A. I had back labor which was horrible and I just thought bad backache....but once I got to the hospitla I started with just having the IV and the first light round and a bit of pressure to counter the stabbing pain in my back but ended up with an anathesiologist that didn't think they could epi me then I think over did it as I couldn't feel anything but maybe a slightly good then /i didn't feel the rip. My mom was there and my brother came up ( he tried to keep distance as little sis was in pain). My ob went on vacation 2 days before so I just had on call doc who I didn't know so it just seemed odd to me.

B and C (just barely) we managed to have when OB was around.

B and C contractions started like c ramps. Hubby was there for these 2.

B-I had lots of chatting with my sis in law as she had several and she didn't think I was but first nurse was like yea sounds like labor. My mom was here for this one. I ended up with epi as shootin pain in my back eventually and was a bit uneasy after A.

C I know I was in labor and just kept watch and got ready to go. We lived nearby and so figured wouldn't take long to drive there. OB lives in our neighborhood so if nothing else we could have dropped in I think...Even though my OB had meetings as he is a partner to place he is with he rearranged to be there for me here besides this was the biggest baby too. I had a older nurse that had twins that was a great coach and gal to have around to go natural without drugs.

7.& 8. All had lots of hair!

A.Oldest was 8 years ago so a bit fuzzy. As she was late I had to be flushed out as she pooped inutero so very clean were my thoughts. She seemed so fragile yet tons of cradle cap and didn't seem to know how to nurse well looking back (latch wasn't right was why breastfeeding didn't last). Bright yellow highlights and slightly jaundice.

B I thought even tinier as she was about a pound smaller and just fell out after the one big push. I thought wow very little cradle cap and was awesome nurser. Very pink baby and slightly more mixed in highlights.

C I think I had to do 3 big pushes with to get out as he was 9 pounds. He had I think longest hair even though he was 4 days early and very horrible jaundice and cradle cap.

B and C it was different with to bring home though for one reason we didn't live as far and I had another child in the house. C was slightly more different as I had a almost 2 year old and very nervous on younger daughter reaction but hse was very watchful and took it upon herself to make sure mom and dad knew that baby brother was crying if we weren't there right away.

9.A. I breastfed for a while but my milk took forever to come in. Eventually feeding didn't seem to be a lasting thing as I was engorged and no support on it so it died off too soon to me.

B. was a pro and was like I know what I am doing, which helped 100% and I could have used the first time. Milk took about a week to come in and lasted til 14 month when I became pregnant with C.

C. Took a little while but got it down fast. Really dry cracked nipple on one side would have killed feeding if this would have been my first. B likes to side nurse but that makes it odd like when eating out but great to put him to sleep when I am tired it is great. He likes 1 side to sit and one to side by side nurse.

10.A. I was in school so I went back in summer and it was hard as I felt I wanted to go but didn't.

B and C I am a stay at home mom of noww to all A, B and C.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Gabe'sMommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfunbums
1. We had been TTC for 36 months. I told my OB that I was taking a break for the summer, I was just so frustrated. My dog (weimaraner) had been acting a bit weird, always laying her head on my abdomen whenever I laid down and I was tired all the time. I had planned to drink with some friends one night and thought "I should probably take a pregnancy test, just in case", I had done this dozens of times before so wasn't expecting anything different but sure enough it turned positive in line 5 seconds!

2. Pregnancy progressed great. Other then being tired all the time and peeing a lot I had no other symptoms. Only gained 25 lbs.

3. I received prenatal care from the get go. Monthly visits until 28 weeks, then bi-weekly until 36 weeks, then weekly until baby arrived. U/S at 8, 20 & 24 weeks. Routine bloodwork. OTC prenatal vitamins.

4. Only class I went to was the breast feeding clinic offered at out hospital. Good information and got to meet the lactation consultants.

5 & 6. Labor started with back pain (like I get when I start my period) at 3 am, was sure I was in labor about 6 am. Contractions were about 8 mins apart. Called l&d, they said to come in when my water broke or contractions were 4-5 mins apart. DH got home from work about 8 am and we went to the hospital cause I wanted to get checked out. When on the monitor, contractions were 7 mins, dilated 3 cm. ALL in my back. OB gave me morphing and gravol so I could sleep, she wanted me rested for active labor. Got up at 2:30 pm, nurse checked me. Contractions still 7 mins apart and 3 cm. Sent me home to get better rest, told me to come back when water broke or contractions were stronger/closer together. Went home, had a bath and another little nap. Ate supper. Bounced on exercise ball. Contractions went from 8 mins apart to 2-3 mins apart within 30 mins. Also increased in intensity. Still ALL in my back. Back at hospital at 8 pm. Put on monitor, contractions now 2 mins apart. Water still hasn't broke and only dilated 4 cm. Got up to walk around hoping that would help with the pain. Nope. Got in jacuzzi tub, that did not help either. Stopped at desk and talked to OB about pain control. We decided to try fentanyl as it comes out of your system quickly and she thought I still had awhile to go. Fentanyl did NOTHING for me so stopped after 2 doses as it will make the baby groggy. Back contractions were so bad decided to go for the epidural (does not drug baby) and the nurse jokingly says I'm going to check to make sure you didn't go from 4-9 cm in the last half hour.....hahahah that's exactly what happened. She offered to go get the OB to break my water and I could start pushing but I insisted on the epidural. She came back with nitrous oxide to see if that helped while waiting for anesthetist. Did not do much for me. Anesthetist came shortly after midnight, missed 5 times before getting the needle in and medication running. Epidural took away back pain but still had a lot of pressure. OB came in to break my water but decided that baby had not descended far enough and he would drop too fast and risk getting the cord wrapped if she broke my water. She ordered the nurse to give me oxytocin. Just before the nurse but the oxytocin through my IV I was complaining of really intense pressure so she got the OB back. She checked me again and he had dropped on his own, just as she went to break my water it broke on it's own and I was ready to start pushing. I pushed for about 40 mins but couldn't get the baby under my pubic bone. OB used forceps to just get him under and let me push him out the rest of the way. Beautiful job, not a mark from the forceps at all. He was born at 2:09 am. And it HURT! DH was with me the whole time.

7. He had lots of hair, I really thought he would be bald but he had this little faux hawk right from day one. He was so beautiful, small and pink and happy just cuddled up on me. He barely made a whimper when he arrived into the world. The next day I was exhausted. I had barely had any sleep in well over a day and people were constantly in and out of my room (not including visitors) all the time. I could not get any rest there. I remember just doing lots of skin to skin with my son and enjoying him as much as I could.

8. Everything changed when we got home. We were just so much more relaxed. DH was off for 2 weeks after he was born so we just enjoyed every moment. We limited visitors to 1 visit a day, no young kids. We needed to stay as stress free as possible and I'm really glad we did this. We had (and still have) such a wonderful baby. He's so happy and really only cried when he needed something.

9. Breast feeding did not go well, which was somewhat expected. I had a massive reduction when I was 21 so I feel lucky that he got colostrum. I had a bit of milk but it didn't actually come it so we went to formula. I had no intentions of stressing out about breast feeding or beating myself up if my milk didn't come it.

10. I haven't gone back to work yet, not until next March but I know it will be difficult. I love being a mom more then I could ever have imagined. But DH and I are both shift workers which allows us to be home quite a bit. For the most part either myself or my husband will be home with him. We'll only need sitters a few times a month and family will be taking care of him.
Gabe'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote