Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Re: home birth question

I've had two fast labors (5 and 2 hours respectively). We are laying out a plan if we have a super fast labor with this baby. We'll have a birth kit ready of course and have a cutoff for when we need to call an ambulance. If the baby is born at home, I plan on having an ambulance come and transfer us to the nearest hospital. I am a bleeder, and have diabetes so homebirth is not an option for us.

Advertisement

miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
Renting a TENS machine could be a good option, but water also provides great relaxation and relief..
FYI, you can buy one for about $35 on overstock.com. thats where i got mine, cant imagine that renting one could be any cheaper?

i had a home waterbirth with my second and i still prefer the TENS like a million to one but thats just me!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!

I'll have to look up TENS, I don't know what that is.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #14
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I should maybe check and see what's available around here for TENS machines. I've never used one, but it could be a good option to have for this time.
I usually am hanging on the edge of the tub waiting to be at least 5cm so that I can go in...

A TENS machine is a transcutaneous electronic nerve stimulator. It sends a mild electrical impulse that is supposed to confuse your nerves that are transmitting the pain signal, so that your brain doesn't interpret the signal as "pain", thus making your contractions much less painful.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
pieceofjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely go to the hospital afterwards if you have an unplanned unassisted birth. They can help repair tears, make sure baby is okay, etc. Have you talked to your doctor about when to go in since you have a history of precipitous labor? I have friends who have a history of natural precipitous labors who chose with subsequent children to be induced precisely to avoid an accidental UC. Maybe that would be an option for you?

pieceofjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofjess View Post
Definitely go to the hospital afterwards if you have an unplanned unassisted birth. They can help repair tears, make sure baby is okay, etc. Have you talked to your doctor about when to go in since you have a history of precipitous labor? I have friends who have a history of natural precipitous labors who chose with subsequent children to be induced precisely to avoid an accidental UC. Maybe that would be an option for you?
I haven't talked with the doc yet. But I have an apt next week, so perhaps I'll bring it up and see what she says. I definitely won't be voluntarily induced, it's just not me I suppose. With my last I had to fight them not inducing, because they wanted to set a date for it before my due date had even come. Dd came on her own, 10 days late. But I'm dealing with different docs this time, so I'm not really sure the group's stance on it all yet.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadsThatBind View Post
. I definitely won't be voluntarily induced, .
Good choice, Mama!

If you aren't happy with your doctor's stance this time, you've probably still got time to find a good midwife. I love my midwives.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
motherhen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I must say that each birth is as different as the child you birth. Mine have gone from 48 hr labors to 6 hrs and back up to 14! There is so much that goes into play for these baby's arrival. I had homebirths in OK. One with a midwife that was not certified by the state, and we had to file for a certificate of live birth. My dd had been to the pede a few times since birth, so he was more than happy to sign for me. Also, anyone would count, as I recall: family or friends. It just has to be notarized.
As for labor, being calm helps to shorten the labor. I would definitely say trust your instincts. If you feel that there is something amiss about baby during labor, just go ahead to the hospital.
motherhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
motherhen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamleigh View Post
I've had two fast labors (5 and 2 hours respectively). We are laying out a plan if we have a super fast labor with this baby. We'll have a birth kit ready of course and have a cutoff for when we need to call an ambulance. If the baby is born at home, I plan on having an ambulance come and transfer us to the nearest hospital. I am a bleeder, and have diabetes so homebirth is not an option for us.
I am with you on that! I don't have diabetes (yet: family history of it), but I am a serious bleeder. It is illegal to do a homebirth in IA, my current residence, but we found a midwife willing to stick her neck out for us. I lost that baby at 15 weeks, and we were at the hospital twice in three days. My HG count got down to 7.0. Hence, my last two were hospital births with a midwife. There is nothing like a homebirth! I miss them immensely. :'(
motherhen is offline   Reply With Quote