Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #41
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:
Re: School supply lists

Ours was posted online a few weeks ago.

I'm gonna hit Target at 8:00 a.m. tomorrow to try to take advantage of tax-free weekend & sales, before the madness hits. I'm afraid if I wait I'll be scrounging through the leftovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrisel View Post
As a teacher who has spent hours if my life in front of a pencil sharpener, all pencils are not created equal. The cheap ones don't have the lead centered and lead is often broken inside making them useless and impossible to sharpen after a few uses. I have vowed never to send my children with cheap or unsharpened pencils.
AHA! All this time, I've been so frustrated with our pencil sharpeners at home. Can't seem to find a good one. But maybe all along, it's been shoddy pencils! We have so many pencils that we've picked up randomly (like in birthday party goody bags) that I don't buy any. But maybe I can ditch those and buy some Ticonderoga pencils to use at home.

Advertisement

momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #42
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

havent done it and dont want to... I am broke... BROKE..sigh
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #43
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel89411

I have very few brand specific requests on mine. I'd be ticked if I had a certain brand of everything I had to buy. I think the only brands were Crayola washable markers and Kleenex. Both of which I understand. Not all washable markers or tissues are created equal.
Almost all of ours were brand specific! And one kid is supposed to have 3 DOZEN glue sticks. Seriously!? What are they doing with the glue that a class of kindergarteners needs almost 1,000 glue sticks!? The bill was over $150.
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #44
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ticonderoga pencils cost more up front but save money (and strife) in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
Our lists are very reasonable. Here is my soon to be Kindergarteners list. The towel will be sent home after the first month or so of school when they stop having rest time after lunch.

Please bring the following supplies to leave at school. Please label * with First and last name.
*Box of crayons (8 only)
* White Elmers glue (medium size)
* 1 glue stick
* 2 chubby pencils
* Scissors ( We recommend Fiskars for children)
* Supply bag or box (about 6 x 9)
* School Bag to carry to school each day - one easily opened and closed by child
- and that will hold shoes & snow pants in winter
Box of Washable Markers
Large bath towel for rest - NO mats 1 box Kleenex
1 or 2 bottle of liquid hand soap
***Optional Items (to be shared by all):
White board Dry Erase black markers
I didn't know anyone used chubby pencils anymore. There's been so many studies showing it's like an adult trying to write with one of those comically large pencils. Every school I know of uses golf pencils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmomoo View Post
Almost all of ours were brand specific! And one kid is supposed to have 3 DOZEN glue sticks. Seriously!? What are they doing with the glue that a class of kindergarteners needs almost 1,000 glue sticks!? The bill was over $150.
I'm thinking only 1/3-1/2 of the kids bring in everything on the list. So, it's making up for that.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #45
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
We have watercolor paints & glue sticks new & never used

& bottles (mostly full)

& colors out the wazoofor anyone wanting to take them.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #46
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Here it is, the complete supply list for one 1st grader and one 2nd grader. (Sniff. It's hard to believe that my baby is going into 1st grade.*) I bought off-brand where I could, but a lot of the list specified name brand. Oh, and I splurged a little on the pocket folders and bought poly instead of paper -- those paper folders fall apart over a year.

Total, on tax-free weekend and with my 5% off at Target: $85. (Not shown or included in the total: a new backpack for 1 kid, and new lunchboxes for both.)

*I joined Diaperswappers when she was less than a month old, and my first posts were on breastfeeding issues. It's true what they say about how the days are long, but the years are fast!

Last edited by momtojande; 08-02-2013 at 08:38 AM.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #47
halielise924
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I spent $52 on one kid for 3rd grade.

I spent $45 on a supply fee for a 3 year old, who goes to daycare 3 days a week, half a day.

Basically $100 a year for 2 kids. This isn't counting the desk bag which was $22.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #48
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
100 if just for Prek here not to include the supplies. Our school fees are about 100 not including lunch.... not shop yet for supplies we ddont have already.... I don't know if I want to know. I think last year suupplies was 30 some & 14 after coupon.....
Old 08-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #49
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a 5, 3, 2, and k to buy for and just most of the 3,2&k without fees or Bookbags and such costed over $300...