Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Shelbylinn34
Registered Users

Seeking advice

My son is 11 days old. He was born with his hand up by his face and this resulted in his jaw being out of place at birth. He wouldn't latch, I assume it was too painful for him. We took him to the chiropractor the day after he was born and that helped...some - he would latch, just not well. He would nibble on my nipple instead of suck. After two days of horribly painful nursing sessions, I decided to give him formula because my nipples were just too damaged. I then tried getting a pump through my insurance. I finally got one..yesterday. My milk has already mostly dried up. I've been pumping every 2-3 hours for at least 15 minutes. I am getting nothing from the right side and .5 to 1 mL from the left. This is very discouraging to me. I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and had their supply come back? Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement

Shelbylinn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
BabyLove624
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Seeking advice

I would advise you to get fenugreek supplements or more mothers milk to help build your milk supply. Eat oatmeal and try to google and make lactation cookies. If these things do not improve your milk supply ask your OBGYN for a shot of hormone to bring milk supply in ( a friend of mine did this.) Good luck to you I wish you the very best!
BabyLove624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes a friend of mine got her supply back up. I would also recommend pumping for 20 ish minutes. My midwife & lactation consultant say to drink 1 gal of water per day. That increases my supply by double. Don't be discouraged you can do this!
Hugs!!!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
So are you not trying to nurse at all before or after pumping?

I would try pumping longer than 15mins. I pumped through 2 leftdowns with 2nd baby a few times.

I was so engorged with first & didn't last long but last 2 kids supply is awesome!

Try lots of water. No huge workout sessions.

Pump like every hour for a while as that like clustering in theory would help I think?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Shelbylinn34
Registered Users

No nursing, just pumping.

I am taking Motherlove More Milk Special Blend, eating lactation cookies, and chugging water.

I will bump my time up to 20 minutes.

Thanks ladies!
Shelbylinn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
SweetGeorgia2
Registered Users

Re: Seeking advice

I struggled with the same thing! Went down to less than 1 ml. I cannot get anything out with my pump now (Medela) though even though it's there - seeing an LC that specializes in that this week. But I have gotten my supply up! I can even BF now a few ties a day without supplementing! I am taking Fenugreek (Get a good brand! I ran out and got a "cheep" one and it didn't work. You ShoulD smell like maple syrup.), Brewer's Yeast, and MothersLove Special Blend, and drinking milk tea. I would recommend one with Goat's Rue. And I pumped (even though I didn't get anything) more often that my baby would nurse.
My biggest help is a supportive husband, BF friends that encourage me, and an AweSome LC! Please let us know how you do!
SweetGeorgia2 is offline   Reply With Quote