Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Gift ideas for NICU parents

Meals! When DS1 was in the nicu for 3 weeks our church family brought us a meal every other night for a month. We nearly always had enough leftovers for the next day. One group brought a lunch basket so we could fix easy lunches. It was a burden lifted not having to worry about food.

Wife to J, Mama to W (3/06) at 32 weeks, C (10/08), and H (2/11)
Mrs-Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

DS spends a lot of time at the children's hospital.

I would have loved a Jimmy Johns gift card. They deliver to ours, and you can only eat so much McDonalds/hospital food without going insane.

I would also love a parking gift card. On a typical week long stay, DH will pay about $60 in parking coming and going. They only validate you once, and he would come down every evening. At $4 an hour, it was costing us a fortune.
Middle school teacher by day, super mom by night
Mommy to The Boss~2007, The Energizer Bunny~2009, and The Princess~2011
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
Registered Users

Oh my gosh this is so thoughtful! My son was a 30 weeker, and I would have been so happy to get any of that (not that everyone wasn't extremely supportive). Any of that is great, and I'm sure much appreciated.
Aunty to Cooper 05/09
and SAH mama to sweet baby Jonah 09/12
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
Registered Users

a cute hat or headband for the baby, one that fits either handmade or store bought. or NICU friendly clothes if you can find them (these have velcro or ties to allow for the tubes).

It helps a lot emotionally to see your baby in something other than just a diaper

we bought from shipping was really fast! it is owned by a mother of a preemie so she understands a little.

we also got an NICU journal which is nice since most traditional baby books only leave NICU moms feeling NICU journal is more appropriate for recording their babie's experiences and helps give a mom hope for the future since she may be able to share it with her baby at a much later date when her child is healthier

we bought this journal

this one also looks nice

Last edited by tinymama; 08-10-2013 at 12:01 AM.
tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:
I've had a few NICU babies, and the thing that would have been the most helpful would have been gas cards, or gift cards to restaurants near the hospital or places I could get takeout for the family. Clothes, hats, ect are sweet but the most stressful part was adding the extra gas money to balance between home and NICU and then eating while there, it adds up quick. I'm sure we spent an extra $500 on food and has during my last baby's NICU stay.
Kristen: Helpmeet to my amazing DH
Mama to 8 Wonderful Blessings!
(12, 9, 8, 6, 5, 4, 2, 1 )
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
Registered Users
My Mood:

I know this has been said, but I have to second, third, fourth gas cards and meals. Healthy, homemade meals are great and so are gift cards to restaurants near the hospital. We always had to leave during shift change/supper time, so we could go somewhere nearby before heading back to see DS.
purplespoon is offline   Reply With Quote