Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by kaydove View Post
It's not normal/typical. I interviewed three doulas in San Diego and contacted about 5, all responded in a reasonable timeframe and showed up when they said they would. The doula we hired ended up coming late to a meeting once but she let me know about an half hour a head of time because her husband was getting held up at work and he was her childcare. She was only half hour late. It wasn't a big deal to us and she was super apologetic.

It sounds like the doula is taking on too many clients too fast and getting her clients confused.

I encourage you to keep looking! The advice is to interview at least three. I'm a doula so if you want to fly me down to interview, I promise I'll be on time and professional.
Why do I have the worst luck in the world? That was one and two. A third one responded to my inquiry with, "yes I'm available for that time frame. Attached are my contract and available packages with associated fees." I guess business is so good that they don't even need to woo their clients?

Emma H&T Mama to Faolan 6/7/12 & Malachy 1/29/14
Mary born into heaven at 14 weeks
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:
Hmm, not sure what the doula culture is like where you are. That seems really forward to me.
One reason might be that some doulas can get twitchy about their fees if they've done volunteer work before - they end up feeling taking advantage of and that the couple don't see their value. I have a couple doula friends who will no longer do volunteer work ever. *
She might be coming off a not so great experience. Or maybe she got shorted payment before and feels she needs to be more upfront.
Just trying to give a doula perspective.

Just tell her you understand the fees and that its in your price range (if it is) and that you would love a meet n greet.

*Disclaimer: plenty of doulas would be happy to do volunteer work, just so anyone who's on the fence about having a doula, don't be discouraged!
Pagan mama to her little Witchling Seraphina, born 2/21/2012 at home.

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
formerly R***and**********
I've never interviewed or hired doulas but by the sounds of the first impression, I'd definitely keep looking.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Registered Users
Re: If my doula stands me up...

yeah definetly not normal. but dont give up! there are some really great doulas out there and they can be a vital part of your labor and delivery going the way you want it to.
McPhipps is offline   Reply With Quote