Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

What's your nursery plan?

So we just got great news that we are going to get our first home (we close this coming week!!!). I had been avoiding my nursery planning until I had word (didn't want to be disappointed).

Here's what I know so far:
DH's mom is going to make a quilt for the LO as well as matching drapes/valances in a "primary colored transportation theme"
My mom is going to buy us a crib at Nebraska Furniture Mart.
DH is building a changing table (not sure what to expect there LOL)

And then I'm lost I have both mom's volunteering to help paint/decorate the nursery, but I have no idea where to start! What are you mamas doing/planning on doing?

Pictures? What color of crib do you suggest (white, light or dark oak)? Do you recommend a conversion crib?

Advertisement

Last edited by mommytaylor; 08-30-2007 at 04:06 PM.
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
tschecter
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What's your nursery plan?

you know, we have a conversion crib for DS1, and geez, it never got used... it will be put into the new LO's room, and we will see if it gets any use then... only one thing... beware buying from big stores... we got ours from jcpeney for like, 500... thinking it would be a really good one... when it came, it was the exact same crib you could get at walmart for 150. go figure.

Crystal City Fibers @ Etsy
The Beeba's Bottoms
tschecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have a 4-in-one natural oak crib but it was a floor model so we need to buy the conversion kit.....dd's room was painted pink/green before she was born and a girly bedding set-pink, green, purple, blue, yellow-....now at one year we will be painting it pink/brown(pink w/tiny brown stripes) and i am making pink/brown toile curtains she doesnt sleep in her crib but it has a pink toile set now........not sure what we will do for baby bean(due april 1st) guess it depends on gender but if its a boy(i want a girl....) we will do firetruck/dalmation theme
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops

Last edited by shortcake2386; 08-30-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

triple post

Last edited by shortcake2386; 08-30-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I need to take pics of our room!

It has offwhite new carpet.
The walls are like this: 1 solid green, 1 top half green/bottom half stripes, 2 top half yellow/bottom half stripes (see my avatar) - all the stripes are yellow/white/green and there is a chair rail.
We got mis matched furniture... crib off of Craigslist for a DEAL! (convertible crib for $75 including mattress!), dresser from when I grew up - I painted it white and bought new knobs for it, changing table is something my hubby built that used to be a tv stand.
We put up new trim and put a new door on - all oak done with a golden oak stain and 2 coats of poly over it.
We're going to have a beveled mirror bifold door on the closet.

My mom is making the bedding stuff - just a crib skirt, a padded teething rail, and a matching valence of green material with cute pond scene and butterflies on it.

Oh yeah, and we have glitter on the ceiling!!!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!

Last edited by amcess721; 08-30-2007 at 04:26 PM.
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congrats on getting your house!!

I don't have much plans as far as a nursery goes.. Never really had one for any of my kids. My first and third were the only ones that had a room to themselves for any length of time and we were renting up until this past April, so I never had the 'freedom to decorate' as I'd have liked. Plus, our babies spend so much of their first 2 years in our room, that we don't make a special effort.

All that said , I'm now hoping to kind of put together a nursery for my daughter. She is still actually sleeping in our room, but she has her own room (for now) next to ours that I can actually decorate as I please! Hooray! We're actually thinking about getting her a conversion crib (the one she's in is missing some hardware and can only be used side-carred by our bed) and trying to transition her to sleeping in her own room soon. Then, if the baby is a girl, the two of them will share the room eventually.

Right now, Eliana has white furniture. It's the second time we've done white (Aidan had a hand-me-down white crib, so we bought the white changing table and have some white shelves that now go with Eliana's white crib). We got a pine crib for Kieran (also used by Torrin) and have an oak changing table that went with that too, it is now used in our bedroom with the cradle (which I can't use this time.. more missing hardware ). I'm thinking if we get Eliana a new crib though, we'll go with an ecru or off-white color.. we have an antique dresser that will be going in her room that is that color and her other furniture can easily be painted to match.

For boys' rooms, I love oak furniture. I think it would look really nice with the primary color theme too.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
mommytaylor
Banned
seller

Can't wait to get started, you mamas are making my mind race with decorating ideas

Ok, so a blue transportation theme is winning me over, with the other primary colors involved...

The baby's room has hardwood floors, so I'd really like to get a large rug for the middle (the bulk of my expense of decorating, I'm thinking).

Does anyone have a crib that has a pull out drawer on the bottom (know what I'm talking about?) - and what do you use it for? Blankets?
mommytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Monzie
Registered Users

I inherited a couple of nice dressers from my grandparents, who sold their house right before I found out I was preggers. They're from the 1940's (the dressers...not my grandparents ) so they're really nice solid wood. I was so happy that I didn't need to buy those. So, I got a crib to match them...honey oak. I got some recommendations from Consumer Reports and the "Baby Bargains" book about choosing a crib. Its a tricky business because they can be really over-priced and its hard to know the signs of quality unless someone coaches you first.

I wound up buying our crib at USA Baby. Its a Legacy...which is a really dependable brand. And it isn't convertible because I knew that I really had to have a "drop-side" style because I'm only 5'2" and I don't want to throw my back out lifting the kid over a stationary sided crib....and they don't make many nice drop-side convertibles. I also knew I needed a one-handed drop mechanism and hidden hardware. So that really narrowed down my choices.

The funny thing is that, I wandered all over the sales floor looking at cribs and finally found what I was looking for wedged in a distant corner of the store. All the fancy sleigh cribs were up front, with the $300 comforters and crap. As I was looking at the price tag on my crib, the salesman ran over, grabbed my arm, and whispered to me, all excited, "That's a REALLY good crib!" Like I'd discovered the store's hidden treasure or something. And its not like he was trying to sell me on it, because it was one of the cheapest cribs in the store. If he was feeding me a line of BS, he would have been gushing about those silly $700 cribs up front.

Anyway. I bought the thing, put it together myself (I'm handy!), and am really pleased with it. It was a breeze to assemble and seems really solid. It has a drawer on the bottom, but that really wasn't a big selling point for me. I just put the extra sheets and blankies down there for now.

As for the rest of the room, we wanted it to be very simple and gender-neutral. Our nursery has hardwood floors too but, rather than investing in an expensive rug that's just going to get ruined, I bought a room-sized carpet remnant from the flooring store. It was around $100 for a 10' x 12' piece of neutral off-white shag. All the area rugs I'd been looking at were more like $400 or $500. Yikes!

My mom gave me an antique rocking chair that matches my other furniture and I painted an old shelving unit white and filled it with those canvas storage totes from Target in a bunch of primary colors. Perfect for stashing toys! I painted the walls a bright yellow-green called "Lemongrass" and bought a bunch of surfer-themed artwork. I got some Hawaiian-print sheets on clearance and I'm going to use them as fabric to make crib bumpers and curtains and stuff. I bought a really cool hanging light at IKEA. And a tropical-themed mobile for the crib with monkeys and toucans on it. Its really bright and cute in there. My husband and I got married in Hawaii, so its sort of our tribute to that.

Oh, and I got a really basic changing table from IKEA and put that in the bathroom instead of the nursery. My good friend had a baby last year and she said that having the changing area close to the sink is a really good idea....especially if you are CDing!

Holy moley, what long reply! I should have just taken a picture instead, huh? Have fun with your room!
Monzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
alexandme
Registered Users

We didn't have the room for a nursery when our first was born, we lived in a tiny apt. My parents offered to buy a crib.....ds hardly ever slept in it! He hated it. We ended up using it to store things in mostly! We had gotten one of the convertible ones but co-slept until just before age 2 and he went right into a twin bed. The toddler bed was just too small, he fell out of it every night even with the little "safety rail" that came with it.
This time we have a room but kind of learned our lesson....the whole idea of a nursery "theme" and decor is all for the parents, the baby doesn't care! So we painted the room a nice lavendar color but don't really have much in the way of decoration. We will wait as she gets a little older and add in things she seems to like or is interested in. We did set the crib up this time but in our room instead and we set is up as a co-sleeper by taking one side off of it and side-carring it to our bed.
My mom found a nice book shelf at a second hand store and we painted it to match the walls and I got some wicker storage baskets for clothes and that is our "dresser". Some more baskets for the shelves on our changing table for the diapers....and I think that's all we will do until she gets older and has more of an opinion and likes and dislikes.