Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Nattiecake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Irritation/bruising on hip bones from flats!?

I have been a flats lover for a long time now. Well, recently I noticed my son's hip bones were looking a little rubbed raw. Sometimes the area of skin looks fine, sometimes it almost looks bruised (tiny bruises, nothing major). I think it's from the friction of the flats on his skin where the snappi is.

He doesn't ever cry or complain when he's getting a diaper or grab the area like it hurts, so it must not bother him that much... but it bothers me a little.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't think I'm making the snappi particularly tight or anything.

Advertisement

+ + + + + my boutique baby shop
Nattiecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
diapertopia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is the flat getting wet on the wings? One of my twins is extremely sensitive to that. She gets friction "burns" for lack of a better term. I use fleece liners in the diapers and sometimes put one one her hip area as well. A little CJS usually clears it up along with a stay dry liner on the area.
diapertopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Reel Life
Registered Users
seller

Re: Irritation/bruising on hip bones from flats!?

Are you using a size one or two snappi? I LOVE the size two. I just started using them on my 13 mo. old a couple of months ago, even though they suggest they be used for 18 months and up or something. Honestly, I think they would have worked a couple of months before that. I started using them because I kept breaking the little plastic pull-tabs on my regular Snappi's, not really b/c I was seeing red marks or anything, but they seem like they'd be so much more comfy to my babe--more like a Boingo or something. Do you have Boingos, and if so, are they doing the same thing? I had just one set and I liked them, but they don't pin as well on several of my fabrics and the teeth broke. I wonder if a lot of people that have trouble with tightness or irritation with Snappi's might do better trying out the size 2?

If not that, do you think it could be an issue with the fit of his covers, that they are somehow hitting him funny? Or his pants' waistband? Squeezing him a bit too much in that particular spot or something?

Visit SweetIrisDesigns on Etsy or Hyena Cart for deliciously natural skin-care products or to build up your breathable, beat-the-rash stash of Polartec fleece, Nikky and Niji breathable+waterproof covers, and stretchy Snug Bug bamboo viscose flats. Like us on Facebook to help me decide on new products and get first dibs on seconds.
Reel Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Nattiecake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Life View Post
Are you using a size one or two snappi? I LOVE the size two. I just started using them on my 13 mo. old a couple of months ago, even though they suggest they be used for 18 months and up or something. Honestly, I think they would have worked a couple of months before that. I started using them because I kept breaking the little plastic pull-tabs on my regular Snappi's, not really b/c I was seeing red marks or anything, but they seem like they'd be so much more comfy to my babe--more like a Boingo or something. Do you have Boingos, and if so, are they doing the same thing? I had just one set and I liked them, but they don't pin as well on several of my fabrics and the teeth broke. I wonder if a lot of people that have trouble with tightness or irritation with Snappi's might do better trying out the size 2?

If not that, do you think it could be an issue with the fit of his covers, that they are somehow hitting him funny? Or his pants' waistband? Squeezing him a bit too much in that particular spot or something?
I don't have any boingo's, I didn't like the fit of them. I haven't tried size 2 snappi's yet, either... that might be worth a try. My guy seems little enough to not need a bigger snappi but who knows!

And yes, maybe his covers are a little tight. He is in between snap sizes so they're a bit snug.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Nattiecake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diapertopia View Post
Is the flat getting wet on the wings? One of my twins is extremely sensitive to that. She gets friction "burns" for lack of a better term. I use fleece liners in the diapers and sometimes put one one her hip area as well. A little CJS usually clears it up along with a stay dry liner on the area.
Good point! That could be it. I use CJ's as well (that stuff works on EVERYTHING!) but I was hoping to avoid it altogether. I'll see if changing him more frequently helps... the wings don't usually get wet unless he's soaked.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Ds1 occaisonally had some red marks on his hip bone but it didnt bother him and was gone within one change so I didnt fret over it. I generally just used a different fold for the next change
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote