Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Trains or train table for a 2yo

subbing! DS is obsessed with thomas the train.I had considered a train table last year but we just didn't have the room.

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son loves all his wooden Thomas trains and wooden tracks. We have some Thomas tracks and also some of the IKEA tracks, Imaginarium & M&D tracks. I dislike the Imaginarium ones since they are 1 sided but like the rest. He got his first train for his 2nd birthday and is getting close to his 4th birthday and he's still in love with them. He plays trains every single day multiple times. I'm glad we have the wooden trains over the Thomas take-a-long ones since the wooden ones are a lot more sturdy. My son has special needs and is very rough on his toys and the wooden trains & tracks have stood up to all his use over the past year plus.

My son loves to spread out his trains over the floor and make different combinations each time so we don't have a train table and won't be buying one. He played with a train table at a friends house and didn't like the confined space.

mom to 3 girls and one little boy

Last edited by ssand23; 09-06-2013 at 09:47 PM.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23 View Post
My son loves all his wooden Thomas trains and wooden tracks. We have some Thomas tracks and also some of the IKEA tracks, Imaginarium & M&D tracks. I dislike the Imaginarium ones since they are 1 sided but like the rest. He got his first train for his 2nd birthday and is getting close to his 4th birthday and he's still in love with them. He plays trains every single day multiple times. I'm glad we have the wooden trains over the Thomas take-a-long ones since the wooden ones are a lot more sturdy. My son has special needs and is very rough on his toys and the wooden trains & tracks have stood up to all his use over the past year plus.

My son loves to spread out his trains over the floor and make different combinations each time so we don't have a train table and won't be buying one. He played with a train table at a friends house and didn't like the confined space.

what do you mean by the Imaginarium ones are one sided? I am looking at an Imaginarium table for DS's xmas gift
thanks!
Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #14
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

We have the imaginarium set from toys r us. No table because it just takes up so much space. He plays with them on the floor. I actually found that they fit well into the thick zip up plastic bag that my nursing pillow came in, and that is a PERFECT storage option for us.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
addicteddad
Registered Users

Recieved a generic brand set as a gift, we didnt care for it and it wasn't compatible with others. The Thomas stuff was too expensive for us to buy at the 2 yo stage, so we purchased the Ikea sets and trains, and they work well for us.

Living in an apartment with 90% carpets, I wish we had a train table, but thus far it's been fine without one.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by corinne76

what do you mean by the Imaginarium ones are one sided? I am looking at an Imaginarium table for DS's xmas gift
thanks!
Hi I meant the Imaginarium brand wooden train tracks. I found that tracks that only have the groves on one side are frustrating for my ds and tend to be left to the side as the double sided ones have more building options. We don't have a train table.

The wooden Thomas tracks are very nice and both sides can be used but can be pricey. IKEA and Melissa & Doug both sell wooden train tracks with groves on both sides. The IKEA ones are the best price (they have nice sized sets for $9.99!) & have held up very well over the past 2 years.

ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssand23

Hi I meant the Imaginarium brand wooden train tracks. I found that tracks that only have the groves on one side are frustrating for my ds and tend to be left to the side as the double sided ones have more building options. We don't have a train table.

The wooden Thomas tracks are very nice and both sides can be used but can be pricey. IKEA and Melissa & Doug both sell wooden train tracks with groves on both sides. The IKEA ones are the best price (they have nice sized sets for $9.99!) & have held up very well over the past 2 years.

Got it. We have some tracks already that have groves on both sides. I wonder if they will fit with the imaginarium ones?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #18
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

We have a combo of Thomas, Brio, Imaginarium, Circo, the amazon ones mentioned above, and one other brand from amazon (will add it later if interested). All "wooden railways". They all work well together. Ocassionally there is a train that won't fit in the Brio tunnels (too tall) or magnets that are "backward", but that's minor.

We used to have IKEA, but I found that half the pieces didn't fit with the rest of our track. I gave it away.

Our imaginarium tracks have groves on both sides just like our others (curves have groves on both sides, straights do not). Our set is from last December, so fairly new.

My ds would not use a train table. His train tracks will go all over the living room. Sometimes from one side of the hall to the other. I love the creativity that comes out of it.

Mom to Joey (Feb 2010) and Nate (Mar 2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Our imaginarium track is double sided on the corners, not the straights. It only matters for the corners do I am not sure why it was an issue for the other poster?

Ours was purchased new from TRU July of 2012. Maybe the older sets didn't have groves on both sides of the curves....
Old 09-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
The Ikea train sets are really fantastic!

We tried having a train table but found that kids like to build on the floor, so we got an inexpensive contemporary rug that matches our decor and has lines weaving all over like roads/tracks. Low pile so cars can roll on it and easy to roll up after trains are put away.