Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
peike
Registered Users

My Mood:
Red face where to start?

Totally new here But need advise. Where to start. Or if somebody could point me in right directions as what to read.
Background
  1. 3 month old boy
  2. 1 new mummy and one new dad
  3. living in apartment
How will it work or how make it work best.
Any recs or tips very much waited

Advertisement

peike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
genny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: where to start?

You're starting at about the same age as I did (baby-age).

I don't know what your budget is like for initial investment, but I would recommend pocket diapers--specifically Fuzzi Bunz. I love them because they're soft, comfortable, and easy! They're also a good investment--they have great resale, so you can sell a size when it's time to buy the next size.

When I started, I bought a little of everything (flats, prefolds & covers; fitteds & covers; pockets...) and I'm now selling everything except the Fuzzi Bunz. I just don't feel like I need anything else. They're easy--not that different from disposables (one step if you stuff them ahead of time), and they dry quicker than an AIO (All-In-One) because you can take the inserts out and put them in the dryer (good for apartments when you don't have a clothesline!). As new parents also new to cloth diapering, and with limited space, you might appreciate the ease all around.

However, if you're looking to try a few different things to see what works best I'd recommend getting a pocket dipe or two (don't forget inserts!), an AIO, a fitted, some prefolds, and a cover or two. This will let you try out four different systems, and you can see what you like about each. A lot of people also use & love wool covers--I can't offer any advice on that, as I haven't tried!

Just my . Good luck!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
peike
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much. I guess it could be good place to start. But where to find these and about how many I would need?
peike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
genny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd start with used--search the FSOT forums here. You'd look in the "diaper lots" forum or the "pockets" forum. If you get used you can try them for less $ until you're sure of what you like. I've seen Fuzzi Bunz go for $9-12 here including postage. I don't know what the other pockets go for because I haven't tried to buy any. You can also find them on ebay, but the price is usually about the same (or more) and I just trust the mamas here more than ebay strangers, as a general rule.

If you want other styles (covers/prefolds, fitteds, AIOs, etc.)--of course, check the other FSOT forums.

I have 14 diapers total (pockets) and we wash every day because we also live in an apartment and my husband is very concerned about odor. I just do one load at night after the kids are in bed and hang them to dry while we sleep. This is plenty for me for washing every day--he uses about 7 a day (he's 4 months old) so I still have some left for the morning until I get around to stuffing the recently washed ones, and I can leave one in the diaper bag in case I ever have to run out in a hurry.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
monkeymama
Registered Users
seller

sooo many options, it is so personal!!
I agree with genny, Fuzzi Bunz are great... but I don't use them full time only because I have so many diff diapers to choose from, I feel like I have to be "fair" to my collection by rotating them!! (how cloth obsessed am I that I feel like I need to consider the diapers' feelings?!?!?)
I also recommend a collection of fitted diapers and well-fitting covers. For your younger son, I would try some Kissaluv's size 0 (up to 15 pounds) or Kissaluvs size 1 (10-25 pounds). They are pretty trim and cute and also have good resale value (at least on Ebay it does). For covers, I use Bummis, Mother-ease, my unstuffed Fuzzi Bunz, and then Aristocrat wool for overnight.
Prefolds are great too after your baby has started solids and poopy is less runny so less likely to explode out of your prefold.
the FSOT has SO MANY great mamas selling such great things... You will find what you need in no time! Good luck!!

p.s. if you are tight on money, then I would just say stick to prefolds and covers. You can buy 24 -30 prefolds with 3-4 covers and be good to go for laundry about 2 times a week. Prefolds dry well, quickly, and they are cheaper than fitteds, pockets and AIOs. Try to get covers with gussets on the legs to reduce risk of BF poo blowout!!
monkeymama is offline   Reply With Quote