Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
mekat
Registered Users

Best Child-proofed IV pole

DS is on continuous feeds 18-20 hours a day. He has known how to knock over his IV pole for some time but I weighted it down with leg weights and thwarted his antics for a while. Well it seems he has learned how to get around that and even after the IV pole fell and smacked him in the face he still wouldn't leave it alone.

This is his current pole. I was thinking about graduating to a sturdier pole like this but thought I would check to see if anyone had a better idea.

We can't do wall hooks or clamp on IV poles because logistically they would be positioned too close to him and he would make it his favorite bedtime hobby to knock everything off the pole. I also can't lay his pump on the bed because it charges at night and the electric cord is a great chewing temptation for him. We are talking about a child with neurological problems so he will carry through on his mischievous impulse long before he remembers it might resort in pain.

I will check with his HHC on Monday to see if they will send us out a different IV pole but they are a small company and do not have a catalog to look through so I need to know what to ask for up front.

Advertisement

mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best Child-proofed IV pole

We never used the IV pole for DS. I put the backpack on his bed next to him. He would never have done well with an IV pole at all. It charged at night, but we zipped the cord inside the backpack so eh couldn't get to the electrical part. The backpack was on the side of the crib, so the cord dangled down the side, and wasn't really IN the crib.

Could you bungee the backpack to outside the side of the crib slats or ziptie it to the outside of the crib at night? That way the cord wouldn't be in the crib, and he can't knock it over.

The one they sent us was like the one you have.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-07-2013 at 08:31 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I worked in a hospital that has those or ones very similar. I hate to say it. They weren't as sturdy as they look.

Other than that I really don't have anything to suggest.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
mekat
Registered Users

He has a Step 2 platform bed. So he is surrounded by solid plastic railing. He would pull and pull until the he gets enough of the cord to chew on. He even does this with the enteral tubing, fortunately he can't harm the pump set tubing so I just let that slide. I usually keep the IV pole just out of reach. He doesn't have good balance and is afraid of falling so he won't reach too far out from his bed. The leg weights used to prevent him from yanking the pole too close via his tubing but even though he is all over hypotonic he is getting strong enough to muscle past the weight barrier and pulling the IV pole back in close.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK, thought about it some more...

Put the stuff in the backpack. If your backpack has a top loop, ziptie the top loop to one slat with the bag on the outside of the crib and let it slide down to the mattress. That way, it will hang down below DS and he won't be able to reach the cord very easily at all. If you have a second backpack that you can leave permanently hung and just put the pump and feed bag in at night, all the better.

Wish I had a crib setup so I could try it out and send you a pic.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 09-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cross post.

Will keep thinking.

After looking at his bed... Maybe you could tie it somehow to the ladder step? That way it would be upright, and out of his reach.

That bed is super cute!

Last edited by luvsviola; 09-07-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wonder if you put a "safe" tube in bed with him to chew if that might distract him from the cord?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
OK, thought about it some more...

Put the stuff in the backpack. If your backpack has a top loop, ziptie the top loop to one slat with the bag on the outside of the crib and let it slide down to the mattress. That way, it will hang down below DS and he won't be able to reach the cord very easily at all. If you have a second backpack that you can leave permanently hung and just put the pump and feed bag in at night, all the better.

Wish I had a crib setup so I could try it out and send you a pic.
Actually that might not be a bad idea but I would just have to do it with a coat wall hook. So attach the pump to the wall below the bed instead of to the railing. I have a wall hook so I will try that tomorrow night. It is way to late to go hammering on walls tonight. I do worry that he will still use the tubing to pull the pump off the hook. Too bad they don't have a wall mount hook that close like a C clamp.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I wonder if you put a "safe" tube in bed with him to chew if that might distract him from the cord?

Developmentally he is still a toddler although chronologically he is 9 years old. Everything he loves must be tasted. I keep him stocked with P-grabbers and Chew Noodles and it has curbed his biting but hasn't completely eliminated his need to lick and chomp on other things.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
mekat
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I worked in a hospital that has those or ones very similar. I hate to say it. They weren't as sturdy as they look.

Other than that I really don't have anything to suggest.
Thanks, I was hoping a 5 legged pole wouldn't have tendency for the legs to collapse. Part of the reason he can muscle the pole over is because the legs aren't sturdy on the 4 legged model and they collapse onto each other when the peg is knocked lose.