Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
aries416
Registered Users
seller

just how crazy is this?

Flying to Europe (Scotland) with 3 kids, ages almost 6, 3.5, and 6-8 WEEKS?

My dad had major cancer surgery last winter and wants to take us to Scotland with him as his big celebration trip. We couldn't go this summer because the surgery was so significant that he's still recovering. June/early July is the best time to go apparently. MIL wants to come with (um, yay?) and can only come in the beginning of June. I'm due with #3 the first week of April. My babies are late.

We will be flying from Chicago to Dublin and then to Edinburgh. Renting cars in Edinburgh and driving to our resort. The resort is family friendly at least.

There's also a (good) chance this baby will be a c-section since my other 2 were. I'm trying a VBA2C. I've been recovered enough with my previous 2 and flew with DD when she was 6 weeks.

Are we completely insane?

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

Re: just how crazy is this?

If your MIL is actually helpful, I don't think it's totally nuts. With you, your DH, and MIL you'll have one adult per child. That seems doable to me.

Good luck with your VBA2C. A friend of mine had one with her third. I hope yours goes as well as hers!
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnjess View Post
If your MIL is actually helpful, I don't think it's totally nuts. With you, your DH, and MIL you'll have one adult per child. That seems doable to me.

Good luck with your VBA2C. A friend of mine had one with her third. I hope yours goes as well as hers!
My parents will be there, too. So, that's 5 adults, 6 if FIL comes. I'm sure I'll be able to just focus on the baby and possibly my 3.5 yr old on the plane. My kids are generally AWESOME travelers. We did Hawaii with a 2.5 yr old and a 5 month old and that was easy.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Totally do able. I'd go! We've traveled long distances with most of our babies in the 5-8 week range along with other kids. Especially with that many adults, it'll likely be fine .
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My idea of hell. But, more power to you!

Make sure you buy trip insurance in case there are complications with the birth. You can compare policies on http://www.insuremytrip.com/. There are some "cancel for any reason" policies.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
sublime.mommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds reasonable And awesome!!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
miriamleigh
Registered Users

You'll be fine. My parents took us to Scotland every year when we were kids (they are Scottish, obviously). I took my then 18 month old without my DH for my grannie's funeral.'we drove from London to the Western Highlands (11 hours). Usually kids sleep well on transatlantic flights because they leave at night. If you don't have one yet, and you can afford it, now may be a good time to get an iPad, just sayin'.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You are a bit nuts and I am usually a party pooper about things like this but if I had the opportunity to go to Scotland there would be next to nothing that would stop me. That is my #1 place to see.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did it without kids (NYC to Reykjavík to Edinburgh). Its a really, really long flight. We left at 8pm going over and they dim the lights so you can sleep. But coming back it a daytime flight so make sure you have lots of coloring and/or games- its seems like it takes forever. That would be my only concern since your family is there to help carry stuff and maneuver the airports. Well that the car seats if your taking yours. You want to check measurement and make sure they are going to fit. The cars are smaller and the cars that would be average here are quite large there when your driving. You could possibly reach out and touch the cars passing and the stuff on the side of the road. In populated areas the stuff is right up against the road and we were actually hitting branches on the right side of the car. Anyway, check for measurements for the car seats. Once you got out of the populated areas its much less nerve racking and if your heading that way the drive through the Black Mountains the view is breath taking. Actually there isn't much that we say that wasn't- we stuck to the highlands.

Keep in mind that is winter there and pack accordingly. Even in Summer when its gets 80ish in the days the nights still get rather cold. We were there in the summer with an average temp of 85- still had to where windbreakers 2 days and have the heat on at night.

Its an absolutely beautiful place and I highly recommend it. Hope you have fun.

Oh and there usually is (or least there was) people asking if you needed help with directions- take them up on that otherwise you could get stuck in a round about trying to figure out which way your suppose to go . Been there, done that. The ones out of the airport really only direct you to areas close to the airport. So if your looking for your destination that is say 2 hours away- your not going to find an arrow for it.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Nijntje
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not crazy at all. I can't speak for the 6 year old, since we don't have one, but the other two are great ages to fly. We flew to the US and back with ours recently, and they were ages 3 and 6-9 weeks at the time. It was a breeze, easiest transatlantic flights we've had since having children. The newborn slept the whole trip, both there and back, and the 3 year old played with the touch screen entertainment the entire time (not to mention they find flying fascinating at this age). Just be sure to book a bassinet in advance and be aware that you may have to deal with some engorgement while adjusting to the time difference if you breastfeed.